Ohio Game Fishing banner

Niagara Falls area

873 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bcnulater 
#1 ·
Has anyone been up to the lower Niagara or Olcott park yet?
Heading up in October to fish for kings in the lower river but have been giving some thought to trying Olcott park. Any tips on fishing the park would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm new to fishing olcott park area too, but I went up there about a month ago and caught one nice king and a nice brown trout in two days of fishing. Not as successful as I would have liked but enough to get me back up there again. When we were up there it we were using all dipsys and downriggers fishing in anywhere from 60-400 plus feet of water. However, I have been reading some reports up there lately and they say the fish are in real close now and there are lots of big kings, so I'm heading up there on monday and tuesday to see what I can get my hands on. My game plan is to take everything (inline boards, dipsy, jets, plugs, spoons, and my one downrigger) and talk to the guy at the slippery sinker (bait shop right the at the marina) and any other locals I can find to see whats up. Everybody was real friendly and helpful the last time I was there. I'll let you know how I do. Also check out this link http://olcottfishing.com/ . There seems to be all sorts of good stuff about fishing that area on this site. Hope this helps, wish me luck!

#3 ·
Talked with a good friend who's a charter captain on the lower Niagara, said it's starting to get good but fish are sparse. Should be great in 2 weeks though. Following from Bill Hilts report http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/bill_hilts_fish_locator.htm#1. Lake Ontario and Tributaries~

As mature salmon make their way in closer to shore, early morning pier head trolling will become more popular. J-plugs, large J-13 Rapalas or Flasher-Fly combinations are all good bets for the early trolling inside of 40 feet says Capt. Bob Cinelli of Newfane. Those fish will move in and out, depending on winds and other weather conditions. After that early morning bite, head out to 70 to 100 feet of water and continue to target maturing king salmon. You can also head out to deep water for a mix of kings and steelhead straight out from Olcott or Wilson. That's more of a basic spoon program. The first brown and rainbow trout have been spotted up at Burt Dam and a few hook-ups have been reported, but it's still a bit early for that action to be taking off.

#4 ·
The latest report from Bill Hilt says the kings are in the river!!
If you actually decide to take your own boat up the lower Niagara PLEASE get some advice from the harbor master. There are some dangerous places up near the dams. a few years ago an experienced guide and one customer were sucked into a flash whirlpool and did not survive.I've been going up there for almost 20 years and I've always gone with Cinnellis. You really DO need to know where NOT to go in that river.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.