close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NewTechnology Dilema

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by harrypautter, Feb 6, 2005.

1. How sporting is it anymore when you use high-tech equipment to find and catch fish? In the purity of the sport just using bait, rod, reel, and tackle is no longer sufficient.

2. For those who want to enjoy nature C&R then don't use the electronics. Better yet try spear fishing. Don't use a vehicle to get there. Don't have a radio for weather warnings. Cook on a wood stove.

3. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

:D Personaly i like to get my cane pole hook up the horse and buggy grab my straw hat and head for the lake...but thats just me :rolleyes: ...LOL..(not tended to ofend just pockin fun :D :rolleyes: )

4. To each his own...
    Fishing hike in ponds, farm ponds or rivers pretty much put you in the no high tech rung on the ladder but when hitting anywhere in a boat it is far more prudent to use whatever legal means you can... It is the fun in catching that counts not how you got to that point...

5. I draw the line at the aquaview camera!

That is, until I can figure how to rig one up on the yak!

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

you want to see some wild reels take a look at some of the japanese reels.

I believe its shimano if you go to there web and instead of clicking on usa click on japan and man they have some wild looking stuff. fish finders built into reels you name it almost.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ya check this out, its all in japanese but it looks like it has built in fish finder screen on the bait caster at the bottom of the page click the arrow and it will take you to the next page.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/

8. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

How do yo uwrite a check in YEN?Just kiddiing that is very different

9. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

It's an arms race. Many of the fish have gone high-tech. :eek: Modern day fishing pressure has made them that way. Many species seemed to be easier to fool back in the days of wooden boats and steel rods. I think I'll go primitive and shoot fish with a flintlock. :D :D

10. Ok, the high tech stuff helps you find them. I have yet to see a ,camera,gps, fish finder etc force the fish to bite. Remember dry fly fishermen think of themselves as the only pure fishermen. I have been fishing most of my 58 years of life and the more I fish the more I learn. The basics have remained the same but the tools have changed. I do not care how much money you spend on equipment it will not guarantee you to be a whiz at this sport. If you use your brain and are observant then your skill will increase with time on the water.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I agree papa perch, a guy can have the best bass boat made $$$$, the best fish finders the best rods and reels and not catch fish. Have to be able to understand fish patterens and behavior a bit and learn from your mistakes and put the time in. The concept of chucking out a worm or minnow on a bobber or tightlining is that eventually a fish is going to come by and you will catch one. But there are alot of guys that fish with live bait that put alot of time in understanding the fish and the areas they are hunting which greatly increases there chances of a hook up.

12. Being that I'm into computers, fishing electronics,etc I think it adds to the sport. It helps you learn more about the fish and with things like cameras it almost makes you feel like a scientist sometimes as you can actually see what's below the water and how it behaves. I also agree that we have higher tech fish and they are more conditioned to fisherman than they used to be. I say bring on the technology.

The same rules still apply, you still have to get the fish to bite. The fish is still a fish and we haven't put computer chips in them to tell make them track down a hook. You still have to understand fish habits, seasons, weather and all the variables or you still won't catch as many fish, even with all of today's gadgets.

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Did anyone catch the article in bassmaster about the new bread of bass called the tiger bass that they have. i will see if i can find it but very aggressive fish that hit almost anything what they said. and grow quick like the flordia strain bass.

14. :rolleyes: No , but I read about adjusting the DNA of fish , all species , to have a head at both ends. Seems someone figured out that would make them twice as likely to bite. At first they thought they were on the right track because these freak fish jumped on any lure or bait cast within 50 feet of them. The scientific team went back to the drawing board though . Seems their super aggressive nature was traced back to the fact that they could not chit. Any constipation victim can readily confirm this. :rolleyes:

15. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Teenage Mutant Ninja Fish....i need to call Hollywood

16. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

i read that article about tiger bass. sounds cool if they dont change the dna of either spiecies. i catch and release so would be fun to catch these fish every day! since i havent done so well the last couple years at knox lake.lol

17. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Heck any fish will hit about anything if it is hungry enough. Especially in ponds. Have seen or heard of people using cigarette butts and even had a cousin when he was little would use boogers to get some gills and bass.

that sounds fun though to have some kind of fish like that, but if they stayed that way for long, wouldn't that take away some of the fun of fishing??? I know I would get bored with walking to the water and throwing in whatever and catching a fish left and right. It would be fun as can be for so long, then is would get boring. the one day Me and my uncle caught 60 bass, it was fun, but if it was like that each trip, it would lose the excitement. Just my 2 cents! :eek:

As far as the Technology, like was said, these things do not catch the fish. Many times I wished I had a Aqua-vu, but not because I would have a better chance, but more so that I could see what I was fishing instead of what I was fishing for. Many places I would like to know what is down there.