Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my wife and daughter to Port Clinton Thursday for 4 days. We would like to try some perch fishing. I have never done it before and was looking for some tips on the type of bait to use and places to fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I do have a 22 foot boat and have fished the Western Basin for bass. Thanks!!

·
Time to fish!
4,987 Posts
try south or north of kellys out by rattlesnake or green their will be some boats perching mark some bottom fish and try their crappie rigs and lake erie shiners works best for me some use perch spreeders but with a young one i would say crappie spreders the weight is allways in contact with the bottom and makes it ez to detect a bite check out rickerds bait and ask about the latest locations but that is where they are this time of year for the most part hoped that helped...........jim

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,510 Posts
Spool your Perch rods with Fireline.
It makes all the difference in the world in feeling those subtle Perch bites!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I agree with all the above but would add: I use 6# test (2# dia.) fireline. Also sometimes when the bite is slow - pick up off the bottom slowly - will prompt a bite - and even don't drop all the way to the bottom ( I use the clip on the spool to keep up a foot or two). I also like to use small silver spinners on both crappie rigs and perch spreaders - I think it offers some extra flash.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help on the perch fishing. I took the family out to the third can on Kellys Shoal and loaded the boat with perch. A good time was had by all!! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts