close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

newbies first fish today

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by sevenx, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I had a lesson today with a 13 year boy today. We went down to lmr and started out in a pooring rain. The kid was cracking me up here we are getting soaked and he is telling me how much fun he is having. To tell the truth I was enjoying it as well, I love to fish in the rain. He struggled for the entire lesson. he did take to instruction very well another comical thing to watch. He had determination though and worked hard and stayed with it the entire 2 hrs I had him out there. No success as rain tapered off I suggested we go to a spot that often hold some carp and some drum since he was not getting hang of fishing moving water. We saw some working the tail out of the pool and I tried to get him on them but he just could not get it together. I asked if he wanted me to give it shot. So I through out and hooked up with a drum on the 2cnd cast. I left out the part that he hit as I was starting my back cast and it was pretty much a fluke hook up;) I handed him the rod and he faught the fish for a bit the fish faught hard and made a couple of runs before coming to hand. He stoked and very nervouse about handeling the fish but got it together for a couple of pics.(forgot the damn camera cable again so I post later). He wanted to try for one himself so we went back at it but no luck. He was hooked on fly fishing today and I think I will be seeing him on the river a time or two. Lots of fun for me to see the excitement in him and to be the one who got him started on his journy into fly fishing. I did hook up on a smallie walking back just stopped for a few cast in the riffles. Quite funny I set the hook and jump at the same time so he came flying right at me and bounced off of my leg. came loose from the barbless hook and swam away. About 10 inches.
    All in all an awsome day on the water. S

2. I have had a few moments with youngsters here is one that will be forever in my memory bank. It was 2003 I was up at the SR (Salmon River), and proceeded to bang a few legal kings here and there swinging flies. I popped in the ever popular LFZ (lower Fly Zone), and it was not crowded “I thought something is not right”. I then lit a cigar, and walked to my fave rock. I then to happen to see a man in his 40’s, and two young men 11 and 14. I saw that there dad we will call him Bob was wearing a Presidential Rolex and looked like he, and his two boys just wont the Orvis lotto! I saw that he bought for what ever reason a cheap all graphite reel, and then would proceed to melt it on a foul hooked king. I then proceeded to smoke my cigar as I watched his son “14 yo” hook a king, there day did not net it right and it was gone! I placed my rod down, and my back pack and proceeded over to talk to the guy. I introduced my self, and looked at there gear. The rods where fine 8-9wts, and there reels “well one was melted” were ok. I saw that there tippet material was to light 8# (ouch you need to start with 10# if you have never fished the SR before just to give you a fighting chance”. I said I’ll be right back, and I then gave them a spool of 10# Saegar Floro, bigger split shot, and a bit of advice. I said guys your really close to landing these kings, but you have to let your equipment work for you. Use the drag system on your reels, let the fish take you into the meat of your backbone of the fly rod. I then looked that the little guy (we will call him Jimmy) your going to land your next king Jimmy. I made sure that jimmy had my fave little shad pattern on, and the split shot up from the fly at about 18” and I watched him roll cast ticking the bottom with his fly. I was almost ready to leave, and there dad said are you a guide? I said no I enjoy fishing was to much. I heard a faint dad, dad, umm dad out of my left ear. There was Jimmy getting pulled over the rocks while standing on his feet by what would turn out to be a beautiful buck king at about 27#. I ran to Jimmy to hold onto his wader straps if I would not have they would have been swimming down stream together. Everyone pulled out of the hole to help Jimmy land his king, Jimmy was so scared. I held onto him, and asked his dad “did you tie the backing onto the reel or is it just laying there”. He did not know the answer. I asked him how much backing does he have he said only about 150 feet. I hoped for the best the hole was about 200 feet long, and 80 feet wide. The king was till going down stream, and then it headed back up stream. Now for all of us who have fished for larger andronomous fish we know what a problem it is when a fish pulls 100 feet of fly line, and about 100 feet of backing then decides to come right back at you cause that’s the way you are pulling. I told jimmy to start running back wards keep the line taunt, and reel, reel and reel fast! The king would end up beaching himself. I laughed, I shook there hands, and said to Jimmy you will remember that for the rest of your life. ;)

3. Another newbie..my 2 1/2 year old Granddaughter Tori announced that "Grandpa needs to fish too!", so I broke out the 3 wt & made 2 or 3 quick casts. Here she had watched & tried "fly casting" with her little Zebco. As I was getting her rig untangled, she picked my outfit up with about 10-15' of line out & promptly cast it (1st pic is her 1st cast), and pretty darn well! Fourth cast resulted in an 8 1/2" gill, which she caught on a woolly worm I tied. Most amazing was that she was stripping the fly in when the gill hit. It's truly amazing how observant the "wee folk" are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nice... great pics, and thats whats its all about!

5. Utard

Utard

Mike, that is awesome. Only 2 1/2 yrs old?! That gives me hope, I only have a year left til that will be my son. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm sure that Grandpa was EXTREMELY proud. Nice gill, too!

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice story Steelheader, It is always a great day when you can help out someone who new to the sport. Especially when they land a 27lb king, wow.
    Tuber that is awsome, nice series of pics. She is natural. Great job. S

7. Mike, your granddaugher is already a pro. My daugher needed a hand bringing in these little guys:

[​IMG]

We were catching nice bluegill all day (she can only hold the rod and I need to pull the line in), and this was the last fish of the day... Daddy had to bring this one in, as it was a little much for the 2 wt.

8. Thanks for the kind words folks. Yesterday, my daughter called me while I was having a new water heater installed & told me Tori told her, "This is the day my Grandpa takes me fishing." Molly explained that we wouldn't be going in that weather, but it looks like we're on for next week again.

sevenx...You're right about "the natural"! That little stinker took that rod back & NEVER went too far back...she was stopping it high. Then, when I saw her stripping line in, I about lost it! She did great.

Jeff...That's a NICE bass! Size?
    Mike

9. I'd say close to 4 pounds. Very heavy fish. We're off to Wisconsin this week to get a few more bluegills for her. Trying out the new Barbie fishing rod. For me, not for her : )