Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Who Dey, Jul 31, 2008.

1. I stumbled upon these forums not too long ago and have been reading a large number of threads with great interest. I was tempted to post in reply to several threads, but I didn't want to detract from the original discussions. So, here I am starting a thread about me!

I fished a lot as a youth out west. When I moved to Cincinnati out of college, I just never warmed up to the fishing around here. Tackle began collecting dust. Fast forward 20 years and here I sit with a 7 year old son who loves to fish. The last few years, we've fished 2-3 times a year ... always while on vacation or a weekend camping trip. Now he wants to fish more!

What drew me to these forums was an attempt to find some fishing locations for my son. We live on the eastside of Cincinnati (Anderson Township) and I'd like to find some waters relatively close for a day's fishing.

I originally was interested in finding some small waters (ponds), but I have been intriqued by threads about the LMR. I didn't realize that the fishing was as good as it seems to be.

I have lots of questions regarding tackle and boats (canoe/kayak) that I'm sure I'll ask at a later time, but right now I'm interested in hearing any recommendations for places to take my son fishing. I'm sorry for the long self-absorbed post, but my son's interest in fishing has rekindled my own. I'm reminded of the great times I had outdoors and I'm excited about the possibility of sharing new adventures with him.

Thanks for your help.

2. well im from the other side of the city but it seems like stone lick cowan and some other of the state parks down there are really great if you get the time check out some of the hamilton county parks you can rent a row boat for 13 bucks a day and if you have a trolling motor you can slap it on their boat and youre set. i dont really get a chance to get down that way too much but have had some success at stonelick. i hope this helps i know there are way more knowledgeable people on here that will know that area much better than me.

3. Thanks for the reply. I read a little about Cowan and it sounded like a good bet. We don't have a boat, so would need a place with decent bank access and/or boat rentals available.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply ... it's greatly appreciated.

4. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

There are a lot of canoe rentals up and down the LMR. You ought to give those a try, and if you and the boy like it then consider purchasing your own.

If you haven't done so already, here is a link to the LMR and all the rental places and spots to put in and take out.

http://www4.wittenberg.edu/academics/hfs/tmartin/lilmiamiriver.jpg

5. Thanks fshnteachr ... I think that's a solid recommendation to rent a canoe and try the LMR. I've canoed the river a few times, but never fished. I'm sure my son would have a blast.

6. no boat! try lake Isabella just off 275 in loveland Best Bet!!! or call 513-322-1900 for help on the little miami river. good luck.

7. Cowan would be a great place to take your son if you are just looking to catch fish. I haven't fished there in a bit but earlier this year we pulled out over 100 crappie in a day. They have a boat rental there from the south shore marina. I canoe fished the LMR for the first time last week and I just rented one. It was nice because they load you into a van and take you up river and drop you off. You drop in and float right back down to where your car is. It was a blast.

8. Thanks for the help everyone. You gave me some good recommendations. I look forward to checking them out and reporting back!

9. Welcome, I am also from out West, Colorado. Fished every other day out there. moved to Cincy about 7 yrs ago and didn't start fishing again until this past fall.

I have a 5yr old and a 3yr old that like to fish a little now. So I have gotten back into fishing. Never fished for anything but Trout out west and am learning what to fish for (mostly Bass) and how and where to fish around here.

I have learned alot from this site, helpful tips on fishing and on taking little ones out. some one told me to look into Ohio State Parks. Camping, Fishing, Boating, and other activities at most of them just in case the kids wanted to do something else. http://ohiodnr.com/default/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Enjoy and keep those lines tight.
    Roger

10. Roger ... Sounds like your experience was very similar to my own. I grew up in the high country of Arizona and spent a couple of years in Oregon (graduate school) where I learned fly fishing. I found it difficult to transition after moving to Ohio in both fishing and hunting. Glad to hear that I'm not alone and that this site is so helpful.

11. I've been out on a small creek trying to fly fish for Smallmouth, so far have only caught 1 on the fly rod. Boy was it fun to catch a hard fighting fish with the flyrod (even though it was only about 10 inches).

Still working on the technique of using BIG flies. use to tiny trout flies.

12. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Who Dey....since it is close to you, why dont you try EastFork (William Harsha) lake or the Eastfork of the LMR. THey are just a short distance from you, I fish them both and they are productive for me.

13. iteech

iteech Shebasser

Who Dey, I moved here from Georgia--the best fishing in the world (to me!), year-round, it never gets too cold to fish there. When I moved here, I was so convinced that dumb stupid Ohio was "fishless" that I actually did not go for years and years--then someone turned me on to all the good spots in the area, and BINGO, I was HOOKED AGAIN. :p I was astonished at the very good fishing around here, and I kicked myself a hundred times for losing those years. It's as good here as almost anywhere--it may be different, but it's good. Try local ponds (just get on the city website--you'll find them), they are perfect for a 7-year-old. Check out google-earth and look for water near your area. The LMR and the GMR are absolutely great--go on that float trip!!! Your son will love it. Try CJ Brown in Springfield--from the marina, perfect for the little guy. Anywhere--check 'em all out. Your son will never let you alone again--he'll beg to go fishing constantly. I have two 11-year-old grandsons, and I take both of them often. Welcome, and tight lines to you! :B

14. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm very appreciative that you took the time to help me out.

I've been to Eastfork lake a number of times, but not for fishing. Bank access looks limited. Is there an area of the lake that offers more opportunities?

It's gratifying to know that I'm not the only one who was slow to warm up to fishing in these parts. I'm commited to give it a go. I may not know the name of most of the fish we catch, but I'm sure we'll have a good time. Thanks again for the help.

15. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

hey man

fishing with your kids is great. cowan a little tuff right now, one more suggestion look for any small creeks in your neighborhood that my lead to a river or larger body of water. as long as flow is low wading is great fun to do with small kids, if your lucky youll find a creek with chubs, gills and an occasional bass. kids don't care what they catch as long as there catching.

be careful have fun and

Go bengals