Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I can hold my own when it comes to fishing in salt water but when it comes to freshwater I am clueless! I live very close to Springfield Lake and I just took up the hobby of freshwater fishing. So far I've fished at Springfield lake, portage lakes, and mogadore lakes. My problem is that I keep catching these little Sunfish. I would like to catch bass or catfish but I've been unable to do so. For the bass I have been using spinner bait near weeds and logs and for the catfish I have a three way with a number 4 hook. At this time I can only fish from the shore but I am looking into purchasing a small boat with an electric motor. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am not able to catch catfish or bass or any other fish besides these cute little fish that like to eat the bait and run? Any help or input or advice or criticism or anything you can think of is much appreciated! Thanks and have a wonderful day and happy fishing! :)

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
small sunfish can be used as bait. cut them into pieces. use the head or the midsection and discard the tail. for catfish, a lot of people prefer slip sinker rigs, and the reason why is because the sinker allows the line to slide right through, so when the fish takes the bait, it feels nothing. you need a egg sinker, swivel, and depending on what you're fishing, a hook.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info you two! I tried using the sunfish as bait but then nothing bites. I cast, I wait I reel in after 10-15 minutes and nothing. :( This is nothing like the old days fishing in Fort Myers. LOL Am I being too impatient? I am using the right hook size for the fish I'm looking for and have used chicken livers, night crawlers and bait fish. I have only caught a baby catfish and some sunfish. Am I just not fishing in the right places? I usually fish from 6pm until 10pm or so. Heck, I even have my cat trying to help me figure this out but she fell asleep reading!

Attachments

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
baby catfish? what species? bullheads are very easy to catch, they usually don't get more than 12 inches in length.
I'd think to leave it out for 30-45 minutes. thatll give then time in case they are slow and unwilling to move fast for anything. mogadore Res. also has nice cats from what I hear and bowfin as well. just.... don't get your fingers anywhere near the mouth of them if you still want them, OK?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah you get a catfish on it's usually a "tap..tap..tap.....scream". Circle hooks work well for some reason they seem to set shallower and quicker. They set the hook on themselves and thats where the scream come in, the sound of your reel sounding like its going to come undone. Make sure you have your drag lose enough that your pole won't go in either, because if it's tight you will lose a rig. Propping a rig behind something sturdy with a tight drag is a sure way to watch the eyes of your rod and possible your reel get snapped off as it gets violently drug across an unmovable prop of some sort when you get a good size cat. Don't let size fool you, they put up some of the best fights pound for pound of any fish.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also. A lot of times what I do for boredom is ill catfish with 1 pole and use my old trusty mr twister on the other pole and cast that while im waiting on my cats to bite. Sometimes you might catch a bass or depending where you are a pike, saugeye, walleye, or a number of other fish.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Small sunfish are definitely great baits for cats. Springfield Lake is tough to fish from shore cause it's so shallow near shore. The bigger fish like quick access to deep water where the shore drops off faster. Also small bays where you can cast into the middle of a creek channel are good spots. I would try mogadore or the portage lakes for cats and bass before Springfield. When shore fishing, look for spots near downed logs cause the big fish like to hid under there. Can also find a weed edge and cast just outside of them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You also try using some raw shrimp(small in size to where it fits 'perfectly on the hook) or hot dogs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Flash, you took the words right out of my mouth. shrimp and hot dogs usually get the job done. Tip on the hot dogs...i prefer to nuke mine just before using it releases the juices and fat that will release into the water and help draw them in. I also would strongly recommend a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. It will prevent deep/gut hooks and improve survivability of the catfish you are targeting, assuming you'd be releasing them, otherwise that doesn't matter much. Hookset will almost always be in the corner of the mouth, also making it easier for you to unhook.

Can't help you much on Springfield for bass. Fished it twice from a boat with little luck. Some do pretty well, but I suspect there are a couple open water honey holes they fish, like the mid lake hump. I've got plenty of other favs in the area so I won't likely return. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much everyone!!! Since my last post, we borrowed a friends boat, went fishing at mogadore at caught 25+ bullhead. At first, it was pretty cool. Then it got old really quick trying to save my gear!!! Lol those darn fish like to swallow hook and all! I used nightcrawlers and shrimp. I then bought a mini bass boat on craigslist. It is hilarious!!! Last night, someone even commented as we were passing by them that we were brave to be out there in that little 8x4 boat. (I'm 5'8" and my boyfriend is 6'3" so we look pretty funny) I took out the seats and put pieces of 2x4 as seats so it wouldn't be so high up. Since my boyfriend and I are a "tad" (cough cough sputter) on the heavy side we are a little over the weight limit but that little boat is great!! Heck I can even stand up in it and do a jig if and when I catch that monster fish I'm waiting for!! Thanks again to everyone for your advice! It was greatly appreciated and I hope it helps other people as well! Happy fishing everyone!!! :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Try raw shrimp with the tail on for the catfish with a 2\0 or 3\0 circle hook about a foot from a 3/4 or 1oz weight. That's what I use and I catfish all the time for channel cats. Sometimes it takes way longer than 15 minutes to catch a cat, patience is a virtue for catfishing some times.

·
The Economical Bass Fisherman
406 Posts
Those little bass boats are awesome. I have seen where they had 5 people standing on the boat and it wasn't tilting or anything. I would never take that one on a rough lake, but Mogadore is just fine for the mini bass boat.

Nice job!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The link worked and it's very cool! I never thought about doing it that way. The mini bass boat is pretty cool and it fits into the back of our mini van. Tried putting in my convertible but that's just silly. ;) As for tonight, I didn't make it to Walmart to get the circle hooks so we just used nightcrawlers and size 2s. We pulled 14 bullhead. It got so bad that I would cringe whenever my poles would bend. We are going to try the circle hooks and shrimp next time we are out. Don't wanna go to work tomorrow... I want to fish!! Lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.