close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

newbie here need reel and flyline opinons

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by iam20fan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. just bought my first fly rod yesterday. its a cheap 20$ bass pro shops model. its not the white river brand. i need a reel and flyline. i already bought some backing and liters.i dont want to spend over 50$ for the reel. i will be fishing mostly for smallmouth in the rivers around dayton. mostly at the west carrollton dam and englewood dam and kiser lake. i can cast but its not pretty. will some sone explain to me the weight system of the flyline? what do the numbers mean? anyone know if that flyshop in centerville is still open? any info will be very helpful. maybe someone here could take me out sometime and show me the basics.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

the numbers have no real meaning of their own. Each number higher means heavier line, and corresponds with the weight of the rod that will throw that line most efficiently.

I probably would have gone with a package deal, were I in your shoes... Decent fly line is going to cost you at least 30 bucks, so heads up on that one. I use orvis clearwater right now and couldn't be happier. take care of it (i.e. occasionally clean and use a line conditioner on it, then let it sit for a day) and it'll last a long time. As for a reel... again, the kit would have been a good call since reels that are sold by themselves are more expensive overall. A decent reel is over 100 bucks :-\

That being said, if you go on cabelas or BPS you can probably find an entry level reel. Just grab one of those and you'll be fine - IMO, the reel rarely causes too much fuss in fly fishing, as long as it balances your rod and holds the line. Get a mid-arbor reel if you can - less line curling as a result.

I could probably show you the basics, but I live in hilliard and I don't know much more than the basics myself lol. I'll get back to you later, I have to do some HW right now.

3. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

The pfleuger is an excellent reel, but I still prefer my mid-arbor. Every time I've tried to cast a bar-stock reel, I end up frustrated. Maybe it's just me, but the coils drive me NUTS.

However, assuming you're going with that reel, you've got rod and reel taken care of.

Therefore, I recommend orvis clearwater line, and loon linespeed conditioner to use on it. Soak it in hot soapy water, then clean/squeegee it off with a microfiber towel or whatever kinda towel you like. Then put a bunch of the line speed in a paper towel and put it on the line in a really thin coat (just barely get the line wet with it). Then let it sit a bit, buff it off, and leave it for a day. LIke new :D

4. I don't know about the fly shop in Centerville but I do believe that Dayton know has an Orvis store so if you are looking at Orivs line, you can just head in there.

For a really inexpensive set-up, you might also check LL Bean who have an intro set that is very very reasonable. They used to refer to it as s kids set-up but so many adults were buying it as a back-up set or a entry-level "see if I like this sport" set that they changed the description.