close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newbie help?

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by Jackfish, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Newbie help?

I fished the OH for hybrids/white and thought they where a blast. I have a couple questions for any veteran OH river guys.

1- Is sunrise the best time for them to hit?
    2- Will they hit at night? In other words does it make sense to start fishing at something like 6am, or would that 1st hour simply be waiting for the sunrise?
    3- For that matter, would it be productive to pull a late night outing like I would for cats?
    4- All this rain we have had, does that turn them on or off?
    5- Dams, mouths of streams or creeks, what other type of structure will pay off?
    6- How late into the year will they hit?

Thanks for any responses -

2. -night is my favorite time for big hybrids
    -rain is good
    -creek mouths, points, rockbars, dams, anything that is a major current change holds them
    - they hit well down to about 50 degrees and after that you can have some good days if you find them

3. I think you are on the right track. Hybrids and stripers and whites are great fish to go after because they will bite just about any time of the year on differnent techniques. It might sound like I am being vague, but Im not. Try a big hunk of skipjack on the bottom. They love cut skipjack. You will get bites from other fish also. Just about anything will work. Topwater, jigging spoon, crankbaits. The key I think is bait. If there are'nt many shad flipping, might be pretty slow. Hybrids move alot also. One day they will be there and the next they are gone. They can turn on in the middle of the day, or middle of the night. It's all good!

4. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

1- Is sunrise the best time for them to hit?

It can be, other times evening is the best. I don't have much advice on what causes the morning or evening bite to be best, just try it and see.

2- Will they hit at night? In other words does it make sense to start fishing at something like 6am, or would that 1st hour simply be waiting for the sunrise?

I think the hour before daylight could be productive. I was out at 6:50a (about 30 minutes before sunrise) the other morning and there was already some topwater activity.

I've also been fishing in the early AM and come across guys who have been fishing all night for them and a stringer to show for it. They were using chicken liver.

3- For that matter, would it be productive to pull a late night outing like I would for cats?

See above

4- All this rain we have had, does that turn them on or off?

Definitely on if it increases the current...to a point of course. Even if its roaring, you can usually find them in slacker water.

5- Dams, mouths of streams or creeks, what other type of structure will pay off?

riverKing is right on in my experience

6- How late into the year will they hit?

I agree with riverKing, down to about 50 degree water, which if its anything like last year (I wish), they'll be biting through December and maybe January. Cadyshac had a honey hole that lasted him into January this past winter, if I recall, and I was catching them well into December in the spots I normally fish.

CW

5. Ask any other Wiper fisherman and they will tell you that patience is a must also. Don't get frustrated if possible. If you fish a dam, be observant and see what's goin on. Watch the water. If you're standing there talking and see the guy you're talking to all of a sudden make a cast, he's probably seen something.So pay attention to detail too. Be prepared too.They'll bite everything from crappie jigs to huge topwaters and heavy spoons. Now's a great time of the year to catch them and I hope this helps..Creekwalker was right on about the bite lasting well in to January this year and it looks like the top water is going to last a little longer this year too.:D good luck

6. thats what I love about this site - experianced guys willing to help a newbie figure it out.

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to hear they can hit late or very early - much easier to get the OK from the wife if she is gonna be asleep anyways:)

Interesting observation - until recently I had not caught any river white base or hybrids before, but have caught a ton of lake white base - out of a lake they don't seem to fight even half as well. These river fish are a blast:D

Two last questions:
    - do they prefere to be in the thick of the current (like a channel cat) the seem lines between current and slack water (like a steelhead) or the straight slack water the is close to current (like a flathead)?

Do they relate more to structure or to current?

Thanks again for the responses, I'm looking forward these fish!

7. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

My experience is that they hold in the seems and relate much more to current...of course some structure creates the current seems you mentioned. This seems to be especially true if you can find a muddy feeder creek running into the clearer river (like after this hard rain were having now :D).

I think this may change a little when fishing at dams, but Daveo76 is probably better to give advice for that.

8. Most of the ones I've caught lately have been right at or just past the seam. A good day today with about 20 fish early this AM. Around here it depends on how the hydro is running. All were within distance today and when they weren't biting you could watch them in close just knocking skipjacks around. You just need to commit yourself to fishing for them to learn. I've been after them for a long time and still learn all the time.

Attached Files:

9. Very true statement - nothing beats time on the water. Thanks for the replies and speeding up the learning curve :B