Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
sparkeye
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hard time anchoring in rougher waters what's the best anchor for the waves I have a 19' Starcraft

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
First, if you do not have a chain on your anchor line, add about 15' in between the anchor and rode. Second, once you let out your line, have someone else drive the boat to hold it in place so your anchor and chain can set on the bottom with out the boat drifting. Lastly, make sure you let out at least 3 times your depth in line. So if your in 50' of water, you need to let out at least 150' of scope (anchor line).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
And a Danforth style anchor is what I use on Erie. I always go one size larger than what's recommended for the size of boat. But I also have a windlass so I don't have to pull them back in.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I use the fluke style anchor with the sliding ring to make it easy to bring it in. I think my anchor only weighs about 10 lbs but it holds my 21 ft boat with no problem. I use about 10 or 12 ft of chain between the rope and anchor and let out atleast 3 times the depth of water. 50 ft deep 150 ft of rope. 30 ft deep 90 ft of rope. and this in minimum rope it doesn't hurt to let out more rope.
sherman

·
Registered
206 Posts
....AND if you don't have a windless to pull in your anchor, consider an anchor ball to help pull/float your anchor to the surface. makes it Much easier to pull anchor.

·
5,997 Posts
I have. 19 ft starcraft and have tried many things. The one i do now is the best so far. I bought an 8.00 rope lock. Its a metal piece with a pulley on the end and a. Hole that the rope goes through.with a spring latch. To release i pull rope and hold above the unit.when i release it locks the rope. When time to pull i simply start my boat, put in gear real slow. Then just pull the rope. Boat follows my pulling and when i feel the weight of the anchor i raise sufficent to move to next spot. BUT SLOWLY. If im done for the day some one goes up front and sets it on the bow. Its a danford anchor and 12 foot chain. I use 1/2 rope. As long as that anchors up 30 foot from bottom most times its not up enough to bang boat. If i happen to hear the chain touch i lower a few feet. Usually only one time to throw out and once to pull in. Makes it a lot easier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
the BEST anchor for your boat is a terrova trolling motor with I-pilot and just use the anchor lock feature. Best money I ever spent! perch aren't hitting? hit a button and move. you can move all day and not throw your back out or wear your arms out!

As others have said, if anchoring traditionally, have some chain in front of your anchor ( I find about 6'-8' is plenty) and let out enough "scope". Some say 3 to 1 but I feel 5 To 1 gives a better set.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Curious, how does the chain help? I don't have any on my anchor now but sounds like I probably should get some.....
For a fluke or danforth style anchor to set and hold, it needs to lay flat or near flat on the bottom for the flukes to dig in. The chain adds weight to the top of the shaft to help accomplish this. A chain also helps with chafing of the rode so it doesn't wear prematurely.

This is also why I suggested to Josh to have someone drive the boat and try and hold it in place while setting anchor. In high waves the boat is drifting faster than normal and the anchor never gets to rest on the bottom and is constantly being drug while trying to setup. I also recommended more chain than necessary in case he ever needed to anchor in really rough seas. I have a friend in California who has 300' of chain before his rode just in case...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Misdirection. I don't have a fluke type anchor. Not sure what mine is called but it is heavier than heck. Never had a problem with it digging in (sometimes digs in TOO well) so doubt I need a chain.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Thanks Misdirection. I don't have a fluke type anchor. Not sure what mine is called but it is heavier than heck. Never had a problem with it digging in (sometimes digs in TOO well) so doubt I need a chain.
Sounds like whatever you have works for you. However, short of a dozen cinderblocks, I have not seen an anchor which would NOT benefit from addition of at least some chain. Any chance you can post a picture.(I really hate the chain since it has a tendency to scratch the top edge, even the rub rail, of a boat while dropping or retrieving in rough seas when you can't hold it off enough safely.)

·
Registered
327 Posts
C.J. : I will take a picture and post next time I get a chance to get out on my boat (hopefully next week). I have an 18' Lund and only go out on Lake Erie if the waves are 2' or less (the boat can handle higher waves but my old stomach can't, lol). Last few times I went out I had a hard time getting the anchor in because it was stuck in the muck. Maybe it works ok because I don't really go out in rough water.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have the Terrova STyle TM on my Ranger Bass Boat and love it for smallie fishing when holding in one area.. Heard it is the ticket to for the guys perch fishing.. I have a used New To Me Ranger 618 getting shipped in this weekend and will be switching my electronics and Terrova over to it.. Gonna start dabling a little in the perch fishing etc when not chasing bass..

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have a 25 lbs Danforth standard. When it hits bottom, I'm anchored:cool: Thank goodness I have a windlass as I would hate to try and pull it in by hand...

·
Registered
430 Posts
The most important need in anchoring in high winds is seven times the depth of water for your anchor line. Heavy chains and anchors prevent you from pulling the anchor often. A float buoy can be placed on the anchor line and powering the boat will lift the anchor to the surface so as a single hand can haul it in.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
56 Posts
I-pilot is perfect for "casual" anchoring/ spot fishing, the very best option on my boat. Feeling froggy? Pick a heading, push a button and you're off.
My heavy anchor and chain is still aboard, readily accessible, an important safety item.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
**** Joe, the chain (provided you have enough) will stop the shank from lifting high enough to loose your bite on the bottom. I have a small chene style anchor with 4 feet of "heavy" rubber coated chain. The links are probably 3 inches long, and the chain probably weighs around 15 pounds. I can anchor my 16' Lund in 70 fow with 100' of line in 1's to 3's with no drift. I also anchor from the bow eye, not the gunwale.

When deploying the anchor, stay "relatively" vertical until you feel the anchor stick the bottom. The pay out the rest of your line.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Joebertin. I don't think I will put on a chain because I get pretty good bite on the bottom now. I normally let out more than 3 times the depth unless the water is rough then I let out more. I think I am going to buy a pulley and attach it to the bow to make it a little easier to bring in the anchor.

@Jimsk2: Interesting concept using the buoy. How far down the anchor line do you put the buoy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts