close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

newb

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jgrasty7, Apr 26, 2008.

1. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I was wondering what are the best lures for smallies this time of the year. I've never really fished for them much. Also if you could give some good locations for hooking into some that would be much appreciated too. Thanks!
    Joshua

2. If you don't have a boat, try a local creek (Alum, Olentangy, Scioto, Big Walnut) -- I think you can get smallies in just about all of them around here if you find the right location.

I've found a small white curly tail jig fished with a moderate, steady retrieve is simplest and very effective most times of year. If you have a boat, try Alum Creek Lake or Griggs Resevoir.

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Another good bait to use would be the Rebel Craw. In the rivers and streams these things really produce.

4. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

I've been fishing south fork Licking for smallies for 25 years and the best thing I've foun for smallies is live crawdads, but since I haven't been able to find any nearby for a couple of years I've switched to a small jig and twister tail. I try to use as small of a jig as I can with a wide gap hook and berkly ribbon tial twisters. Me and my nephew took 19 in a mile and a half stretch with 2 just over 2 lbs and countless rock bass and 1 huge crappie. If you don't mind catching a mixed bag a twister is the way to go

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Freudian slip?.....I hope not :( :mad:

And to answer your question jgrasty your best bet this time of year would be a minnow imitation of some sort, or a tube. Tubes will often outfish evertying else because they can either be perceived as a crawfish or a baitfish. The key to fishing tubes is finding the right weight, experiment with different jig head's until you find the right combo. I typically use 1/16th or 1/8 when fishing rivers, however a few of my deep honey holes require 3/8 or even 1/2's....