close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New York Salomon

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by r9ptbuck, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Has anyone herd if the salmon are in the Niaggra river, or any of the rivers in Olcott?

Thanks!

2. bcnulater

bcnulater ~~~~~~~~~

2. Lower Niagara River ~ Record-breaking temperatures the end of September isn't going to help the salmon cause as river temperatures are still hovering around 70 degrees. We need some heavy rains and cool nights to really make a difference. The recent rains might help to pull a few more fish in. Treated egg skein fished off three way rigs on the bottom is still the best approach, but you may have to adapt to conditions. If a strong southwest wind is pushing you too quickly for an egg drift, you'll either have to try and slow that drift down with your trolling motor or you'll have to switch baits to something like a Kwikfish. Bass fishing continues to be good in the river and walleye options include both the river and the Niagara Bar.

http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/bill_hilts_fish_locator.htm#Lower Niagara River

3. Ursusguy

Ursusguy Sr. Member

Haven't any info on that area, but just returned from my fall bass trip to the St. Lawrence. Stopped in at Fat Nancy's Tackle on the Salmon River in Pulaski, N.Y. (just north of Syracuse) and they said that the area is in drought, and that the low water has hurt the salmon run.

Conditions the same for the Black river in Dexter (by Watertown). Now is the prime time for those locations, with good rain the salmon will move.

Best wishes.
    Ursusguy

4. its going to be a horrible season the snaggers will be out and have been in full force! The whole entire eastern seaboard is in a drought! My friends in Main are even having a bad season overall in the Salt! Unless we get some water I would not even attempt to fish for them unless it was in a huge body of water. Get ahold of down river bait and tackle up on the Niagara they will set you straight! I'll be going there in about 3 weeks, and hopefully by then the snaggers will be gone and those rubber boots with fins will be all dead an then I can fish for my 2 love Brown Trout!

5. Ursusguy

Ursusguy Sr. Member

R. Tom,
    There's no such thing as a former Marine.

6. Thanks for the information guys! A guy form work headed to the Niaggra yesterday (Sunday), Ill post his results when he gets back!

7. I will be heading up to Lewiston to salmon fish the Niagara next Monday. We also plan to do some smallie fishing , probably in Erie off Buffalo, on Sunday. I hope it cools down a bit this week so the Niagara is active. I will let you know how we do.

8. Thanks, and good luck!

9. Thanks for the info archman!

10. Fished Devil's Hole Thurs. 10/5. Fishing wasn't as hot as is should have been, but quite a few fish were caught. We boated 5, with nothing under 20 lbs. Unbelivable how stong those fish are. Good luck if you go. In my opinion, fishing the Niagara is about as fun and exciting as it gets.

11. the rivers temp is to high, the lakes temp is to high, the dissovled o2 levels are low, and the fish are really stressed out. Thats some of the reasons fishing is slow. Those fish are mighty strong in a current that runs 5-12 mph.

12. bcnulater

bcnulater ~~~~~~~~~

RBSteele- who did you go out with? sounds like you did pretty good for the conditions. Where did you catch the most? The Canadian dam?Main drift?

13. Fished with John DeLorenzo. Good guy, works hard for the fish. Been out with him many times, no complaints.