Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to do a walk wade trip for salmon this fall with both fly rods and centerpins. Anyone have any advice on rivers or places to stay? Would be greatly appreciated.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
the steel head hunter
694 Posts
For early fall salmon betsie river can be great..its about a 7 hour trip from the Cleveland area. It is in upper Michigan. We stayed at vacation trailer park campground. It has private access to spots on the river... for mid season salmon we go to 18 mile creek in olcott NY..

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
751 Posts
I went last year to the Betsie at the end of the salmon season beginning of the steelhead in late October . There were dead/dying salmon everywhere and a lot of still active ones. Very senenic area and the river was easy to wade. We stayed at the "Rustic Resort" and walked down to the river. "Resort" might be a stretch but it was clean, newly remodeled cabins and rooms, reasonably priced and very convenient. They have grills and a fish cleaning shack. There are lots of trails leading down river to get away from the crowds around the dam. We have another trip booked there for this October.

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Look up Pulaski New York in the Salmon River...best salmon.fishing experience you can find.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The Salmon River can be very exciting but also VERY crowded with fisherman from all over the East coast. You should look up the Oak Orchard in NY. You would be amazed at the fish you can catch there. PM for more details if you like

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like we are heading to oak orchard first weekend in October. Can't wait!!! Any advice on baits/flies? What pound test should I run on the pin?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Egg sucking leech flies have always worked for me up there. Salmon are annoyed by them and will strike out at them and the lake run browns love to eat them. Black with a red egg. Go to Percy's flies website for great prices. I use an 10ft 7wt and bring along a 9ft 8wt for backup. A wide mouth wading net works great...leave the Lake Erie one at home as it becomes more of a pain in the azz to carry around. I usually try to beach them if by myself but if you are fishing with a buddy bring a net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts