close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Year's in Port Clinton (Walleye Drop)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CoolWater, Dec 28, 2004.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

If you haven't ever been to Port Clinton for New Year's your missing out on a fun time. Just thought i'd do a post and remind everyone about the "Walleye Drop". If you aren't sure what it is, just basically a 600 pound walleye that drops at midnight, here's the official site about it:

www.walleyemadness.com

Even if you can't make it and find yourself at home watching the TV celebrations you can catch it live on your PC as this site will be showing it live via cam:

www.eriecam.com

I will take my digital camera and get some pics this year to post.

2. catking

catking Banned

I've always wanted to see this event. I believe his name is Wally?? Be cool to see some pics Coolwater ;) .......... THE CATKING !!!

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

That sounds like a blast! Right up our alley..haha

4. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

His name is Wylie the Walleye. I just wonder where everyone is going to park this year. The snow piles downtown are huge, leaving no parking room on the streets, and most lots are so poorly plowed there is very little room for parking in them either. Granted it's supposed to start melting.....I think it's supposed to rain the next few days. It's going to be messy for sure!

5. catking

catking Banned

Thanks Juls for the correction ;) I knew it was something like that :D .DA KING !!!

6. CoolWater

Here's a few pics
    [​IMG]

7. CoolWater

This was a little blurry :mad:
    [​IMG]

8. catking

catking Banned

Done made up my mind. I'm heading up next New Years to see this. Thanks for the pics............... THE CATKING !!!

9. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

Guess we didn't have to worry about the snow...lol it's all gone!!! :) Wahoo!

Juls

10. THANKS for the pics...
    Someday gotta go there...

11. Tee

Tee Team OGF

My wife and I were there for the Y2K celebration in Port Clinton. It was a blast! Wylie is a pretty famous fish. I remember seeing him again at the Bass Pro Shops in Cincinnati for the Spring Fishing Classic in 2004.

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

My friend and I are planning on hitting this next year as well.

I have a few questions about Port Clinton..

Where should we get a Hotel Room at? We'de preferablly like to within walking distance of the drop.

Do they allow beer in downtown for the evening or is that a big no-no?

If they don't allow beer downtown, are their bars that are close to the drop zone?

Thanks Coolwater :)

13. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

Fishman, or is it Coolwater (?),
    There is a nice hotel right on the corner of the street they do the drop on. It's called the "Island House" (it's a historical landmark, I think). There is a great restaurant/bar in it too. There is also a bar across the street called the "Tin Goose". I don't know if alcohol is allowed on the streets...I can't answer that question.

A couple blocks down, and in walking distance, is the Garden Restaurant/bar and hotel....another nice place to stay at and eat.

If I were you though, I would make your reservations for that night now. I'm sure they fill up fast for that event.

Juls

14. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thanks Juls, we're planning on making reservations ASAP :)

15. CoolWater

Hey Fishman...

No alcohol allowed on the street but all the bars are open and 2 of them u can see the drop right out the window. (if u are so inclined to not put down your drink) lol :D

As for hotels, yea Island House Inn, 419-734-2166 is pretty cool- and haunted if your into that type thing.. it's registered in 'Haunted Ohio' i believe... theres several others right near downtown (Comfort Inn 419-732-2929) that are a stones throw, just send me a PM next year when it gets close, and i'd be happy to help.

And yes Z's Tin Goose was open...