close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New years day at paint spillway?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by flathunter, Dec 25, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Last year a group of us met at paint spillway on new years day..The temps are supposed to moderate all next week, with the high near 50 next saturday..I will be going over to paint saturday if anyone want to meet up?

2. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Is paint running? Iwould'nt mind a saugeye sandwiche
    Fishcrazzzzy

3. Hey Flathunter, I would like to meet up with some guys from here. I'm a real novice at the eyes and could benefit from a few pro's pointers. If it was in the morning, I could let the wife sleep in and try my luck at the paint! I'm gonna keep my calender open, so count me as one.
    How long of a drive would it be from Athens? I would think that my medium-light action spinning rod with eight pound test would be appropriate. I also just got a 6'6" light action spinning rod that I'm gonna use 4 pound test. Would that be better? Just not sure, thanks for any help!

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I could probably make it new years. Might go over there thursday to do some fishing also.

5. catking

catking Banned

I probably have to work some Saturday, but I will stop by if it's not to late. Hey oufisherman, that 6-6 light action is fine for saugeye at Paint ;) From Athens ...........taking RT 50 west to Rapid Forge road ( on the right before crossing Rocky Fork creek) is about an hours or so .Just follow the signs to the spillway............ Maybe I won't have to work at all Jack, I will see....... I'll break out the spinning gear............. CATKING

6. I need to find a sitter for my daughter and if so, what time are you guys thinking?

7. traphunter

traphunter Guest

If I go I will probably be down there before sunrise.

8. flathunter

I will be there around noon if the water flow is not to high with all the snow melting, I will post conditions of the creek friday.

9. Is anyone going to try for channels? I am thinking about bringing some cat gear along since I did so good there last January during a short warm spell.

10. flathunter

I am gonna try for channels, what did you catch your cats in january on?

11. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

He prob. caught them on a hook. Geesh Jack, didn't DIP teach you anything? Not sure of my plans yet for that day. I would like to go but not sure.

Bill

12. catking

catking Banned

Does anybody know if they cleared the hill leading down to the spillway ??? I would imagine it would be ok, but there was a ton of ice out that way , and many roads are still covered.......... CATKING

13. flathunter

Supposed to be 60 degrees friday, I would imagine most of the ice will be melted?

14. flathunter

Hey Gar man, your not funny! :D ..Got any shadz?..Can you net us some???? :eek: :D

15. catking

catking Banned

I'll be an 'eye guy for the day :rolleyes: Where's the DIPSTER at :confused: .......... ~**~

16. flathunter

Whiz Bang wont come unless dipster drives him.

17. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

my van just may make it that far, it should but actually this time it is the funds and my cousin is in from N.C and we were supposed to fish last sunday but it was a little cold for that. So I gotta call him and see if we are fishing sat. cuz he leaves sunday. Fuel is cheaper also when ya divide it by two. :D

bill

18. I'll join Catking in being an eye guy for the day. I've been looking to give them a shot again. Last time fishing for them was probably 6-7 years back at Salt Fork spillway.
    If I'm coming for eyes, what would be the suggested lures? I'll be bringing some pre-rigged jighead and mister twisters, along with different color and size jigheads and twister tails. Would any type of jerkbait or rapala be a potential lure? My experience is limited to the jighead and twister.
    I would probably be there early and be out by noon or so. Enough time to try my luck and me some guys from this board. Thanks for any additional info.

Doug

19. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

OU....1/8 oz or lighter jig is usually the bait for Paint, with a 2" tail, white,chartruse, etc. :)

20. Looks like I'll be down there Saturday as well. Did OK last winter during a similar warmer than usual period. If you have white, chartreuse, and pink grubs you should be OK. I've also caught nicer ones on sassy shads, but that was at deer creek.