close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Truck Decision

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PoleSnatcher, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Looking for a new truck, I "THINK" I am narrowed down to two trucks

2001 Ford F250 XLT
    Ext. Cab
    Short Bed
    6.8L V10
    Automatic :(
    4x4
    33's
    Loaded
    44,000 miles

$300 month 60months

2004 Dodge Dakota SLT
    Ext Cab
    Short Bed
    4x4
    4.7L V8
    Automatic :(
    9miles, I put on 2 mile test drive
    Has everything but the power group (indows, locks, mirrors)
    $300 month 72 month

7year/70,000mile warenty

I don't know which way to go. I like them both, the Ford a bit more, but don't really totaly need that much of a truck, though it would be nice at times. I'd also like a big truck but like I say it is not a 100% necesity, but would be nice to help on the farm( farm has a 95' cummins 3/4 ton)

Whats everyones oopinion on these trucks and also what kind of gas milage???

2. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

If the F-250 was a diesel, I'd say grab it in a minute. That V-10 will drink gas compared to the Dodge but you'll have a good bit more towing and hauling capability.

The Dakota, being a new vehicle, will lose much more of its value over the next 3 years through depreciation that the Ford will. Any vehicle incurs most of its depreciation in the first three years, then levels off. The Ford is at that level stage now. If you're not planning on getting a new truck in the next 5-7 years, the Dodge might be ok, otherwise definitely go with the Ford (assuming it's in good shape and has been well maintained).

Logically, I'd go with the Ford, but of course, the smell of a new car or truck is oh so nice!

3. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

One other note,

Make certain that the Ford's transmission is in good shape. If their trucks have one Achillies heel, it's the E4OD tranny that they put in them until 2004. If it's been maintained and is in good shape, ok. If it hasn't, a new tranny is around $2,000!!!

4. yeah, I'd love to have a diesel but the prices are out of my range for one with lower miles.

The warenty is pulling me towards the dodge but i really like the ford and it seems to be well maintaned, 1 owner

5. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

The thing about a diesel is mileage is not an issue like a gasoline engine. I know diesels that have made 200K easily, with proper maintenance. In Nov of 2002, I bought a 1996 F-250 diesel with 74K miles for $13,950 at a Ford dealership. I asked my dad (a diesel mechanic for 50+ years) what he thought and he said the engine was barely broken it. Hunt around for what you really want. Also, don't get caught up focusing on monthly payments! Dealers will tack all kinds or crap to boost the bottom line. Shop your financing separately, if you are able.

6. I know disels can go for a long time

300 is pretty much the max for me on monthly payment though

the warenty on the dodge is something to think about though, but then there are all the common dodge problems :confused:

I like the 250 but am not sure about the V10 and the fact of no warenty, I put a bunch of money into the ranger this winter and now everything else is going wrong, so I'm getting rid of it. I'm tierd of fixing vehicles

7. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Just buy a chevy and get 200+ miles out of it :D

8. There you go, Hydrasport! My '90 Blazer has 241,000 miles on the origional engine and tranny, and its still going strong!
    LaDo

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have a ford ranger with 271,000 miles, and has had 0 work done to the engine or drivetrain..Still runs as good as the day I bought it new. You may call me a liar I dont care :D But I only change the oil every 10 to 12 thousand miles also, and have done that since new, and I just use regular castroll oil.

10. Provide me the purchase price for both vehicles and I'll give you a better assessement. As WD said, monthly prices mean very little when it comes to evaluating a better deal.

Some other things to consider. Warranty...which you already discussed. How many miles do you put on a year? Does the 44K on the other car equal 1 year of driving for you or 5 years? Also consider maintenance cost. The break work on the 250's can be substantial.

With the cash allowances they are giving now, sometimes you are better off taking the new vehicle despite the depreciation (didn't used to be the case). The cash allowances are often better than the low interest rate incentive. Get your financing somewhere else....you can get low rates elsewhere assuming your credit is good. Always check a credit union if you have access to one. I'd lean towards the new vehicle if I were you (especially if you don't need that towing power often).

If you can wait, I'd consider waiting until at least September. At that time you'll see incentives increase quite a bit and they'll also be much more willing to negotiate (especially on the new vehicles). I bought a new Chevy last December and got a super deal on it (took the cash and got low financing elsewhere). Truck shopping can be fun, but also frustrating at times. Don't be afraid to shop around. Have fun!

11. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

I would go with the dodge even though I am a ford man. You got 12 extra payments with the dodge but the ford already has 44k on it.

12. I drive roughly 15K a year I could be getting the ford for 19500 out the door, then they are giving me $3000 for my trade. I forget the price of the dodge but they are also giving me $3000 for my truck

I belive ya on the ranger, I don't know of anyone else who has trouble like I have

Spedometer broke
    Odometer Broke
    Truck just dies either at a stop or slowing down

Replaced: Leaf springs
    4 shocks
    Ball joints 4
    Sway Bar mounts
    plugs & wires twice in 20,000
    clutch is gone
    There was some other things too that I can't think of right now. All I do with this truck is drive it to and from work, never even hauld a really heavy load on it and all of this was whitin the last year

13. Hydrasport is right.......If you want to go two hundred miles (not thousand) between breakdowns, buy a chevy.
    Huntinbull

14. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Educate yourself about the financing process. If you finance a used vehicle for 5 years or longer, unless you get one of those extremely low finance rates from a dealer, you are getting taken to the cleaners by the bank. Don't make the mistake of going in with a monthly payment in mind. Dealers and banks just love that. You might as well walk in with a sign on your forehead that says "go ahead - rape me."

If you educate yourself, you will know what your payments will be based on the PRICE of the vehicle and the INTEREST RATE. And I don't mean to be a (jerk), but financing a vehicle for more than five years means you are buying more of a vehicle than you can afford. Just think if the truck gets totaled in a few years. You will owe way more than an insurance company will pay you for the loss. So you will be even farther behind, having to either come up with thousands of dollars to pay off the loan, or a dealer will be happy to "roll over" the cost of paying off that loan and tack it onto another vehicle. That puts you even further behind. Its a vicious cycle. Your best bet is to stay out of it in the first place.

15. catking

catking Banned

Here's what I do. I buy a new Ford truck every 5 years. I have always had great luck with them. I'd buy what makes YOU happy, and wouldn't think about the interest, months etc. etc. I go in and tell them to put me in something for about $350 a month and I'm good to go ;) . A ford with 44,000 is just getting warmed up. And I was a chevy man for years, but the fact is, they don't build good work trucks in my opinion. I do construction, and I'd say 75% of ALL the trucks I see on the job are Fords. I never did like Dodges, but to each his own ;) The ford I have now just turned over 100,000, and it's still hasn't had a muffler replaced, battery, headlight,any of the small headaches. The wifes van, that is also a ford product, has 170,000 on it and I've not done anything to it except the standard maintance...CATKING

16. catking

catking Banned

I have to disagree with you shuvlhed on the "more than 5 years" I always have gone 6 years on 10 new trucks and cars. It's an option , not something I have to do. I look at it this way, I will ALWAYS have a car/truck payment,I have had one for 30 years now. It just isn't important to me paying one off sooner, because I just trade it in anyways. It might be throwing money away in some peoples views, but I like lower payments VS saving money in the long run. CATKING

17. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am with you Catking on the payments. I have not had a car/truck long enough to pay it off anywho, so I don't care how long they make the payments stretch. I consider myself never satisfied when it comes to vehicles.

The guys who say Chevy is best or Ford is best or Dodge....... They are funny to hear. I like what I like because of what it is not what brand it is. My dad bought a Mazda pickup in 1988 brand new. put over 300,000 miles on it and never did more than the usual work(brakes, plugs, oil, filters, etc...) Traded it in for a S-10 and had every problem you can think of. now he has a GMC sonoma and has had little problems so far. Step-dad has a Ford F-150 bought new in 1997. put well over 200,000 miles on it and had to have the engine redone last year. (due in part to the fact he is not much for maintaining his vehicle) Still lasted for a long time without any major work done to it. My point is, don't buy on what brand. I see just as many chevy as I do fords or any other make along the road. The way I do it is whether or not I like the looks of the vehicle, then get in it and drive it. That is the only way to really tell if it is what you want. Then again that is my opinion and we all know what those are like!!! :p

18. I'm really not sure what to do. I can't make up my mind, the transmission/transfer case problems with the dodge kinda scary me, but it has a 7/70,000 powertrain warrenty. I'm not real big on the V10 in the ford either. I was thinking I'd do it for $275 for 60months today but then couldn't get ahold of the insurance company to see what my insurance would be. a sign????

19. I've got a 1988 chevy 1/2 ton and around 500,000 on it now, the body is just now starting to get a little rust on it

20. my friend has a 72 3/4 ton chevy that has over 500,000 on it, body is almost gone and motor has been rebuilt couple times but it's a great truck