close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Truck advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mojo, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Ok its time to cash my little 4 banger "good for college" car in and get a truck. Need advice on what to get. I'm on a super tight budget though and need a "good starter truck". I'm lookin to spend under 2500 on an early 90's. I would prefer a v6 since i'll be towing a boat (main reason my price range is so low). I found a few rangers with 4 cyls, a 92 dakota with 100k miles with a 3.9, bed liner, and cap for $2000. I also found some 92 cherokees with 140-160k miles for around 2000-2500. I would prefer the jeep just for storage and the 4x4 but not if its gonna die on me. They are all high mileage so i know its a gamble either way but does anyone have histories with any of these cars? What would you guys recommend? I only need it to last a couple years till i finally get out of graduate school and can actually afford to buy something nice.

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ok this is just my personal experience and prefrence.
    I would stay away from dodge with high miles. as well as the jeeps
    i had great luck with an S-10 put 350,000 miles on it and have also seen rangers have the same luck.

In that price range stay away from the carlots and look on line and in the newspaper also if you don't absolutely have to have 4x4 count it out and you will find a very nice ranger or s10 with a v-6 with lower miles in 2 wheel drive. My S-10 was 2 wheel v-6 pulled boat fine and did great in the winter with about 6 sand bags in the back.

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Look at places online like auto trader and look for the private sellers, try to find something like this i found it on quick search. When i bought my 99 jimmy i found it older gentalmen on auto trader got great deal. Just remember with 4x4 alot more expense when breaks and usually more miles and money to buy especially this time of year.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advanced=n&start_year=1981&color=&cardist=96

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I second staying away from the dodge and jeep high mileage vehicles. I would like for a v6 s10 or 4 banger toyota. I don't care for fords, so take that with a grain of salt. My dad had a 93 s-10 and he pput a lot of miles on it before he upgraded. I still see that truck around town. i wouldn't drive it to Florida or anything, but it still goes to work every day. They aren't pretty, but they do what they were designed to do- work. Stay away from 4-wheel in high mileage trucks and SUVs. You're only asking for trouble.

I agree that private sellers are the way to go. Good luck!

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I'd go for the V6 s-10/sonoma. Same engine as their Blazers. I have the 4 door ZR5 model sonoma, and pulls my 18.5 fish-n-ski (fiberglass) like a CHAMP. I had a 98 Cherokee at one time...couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

6. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I would also look for a "chevy" . I had a 91 s-10 for about 10 years and put over 300,000 miles on it with around 150,000 of them from towing my boat . All I ever had to do was change the oil , put a gas in it and it seemed that I went through rear tires often :D They are not hard to find , you just have to look around . You wont be disapointed if you get one .

7. Thanks for the advice. I looked at s-10's and just couldn't find too many close by and i my range but i'll take another look and mabye drive farther. I don't need the 4x4 but thought i would be nice but i was leary if it did brake down.

What do you guys say about the 4cyl in the s10's? The boat i'm getting is just a small 16ft fishing/duck boat (row boat with outboard). I wouldn't think it'd be tough to tow so would that engine be enough?

8. You won't have any problem towing a 16' duckboat or the like assuming it is aluminum with a 4 cylinder. You may experience a bit of pull and decreased performance but if you take it easy you will be fine. If it were me I would also look for something with 4WD. I like the security of knowing that I can get out of a jam with it. With a pickup I am always envisioning real wheels spinning on a slimy ramp and the truck slipping away. It may not happen to many but the risk is enough for me to consider it. Plus I like my 4WD for the white stuff coming soon.:D

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Ford Ranger all the way, I have owned 3 of them and put alot of miles and abuse on them, they never let me down.

10. I have a 1990 Blazer that has over 250,000 miles on it's 4.3 V6. It still runs great, and I love it. My brother has a '92 S-10 with over 200,000 on it's 2.8 V6, and he still tows with it. They're both great trucks, and you can't go wrong with either.
    LaDo

11. catking

catking Banned

There has GOT to be a reason why Ford has been the best selling truck in America for what 20 - 30 years??? I buy ford trucks for my construction job. In 30 years, I've owned 3 .....10 years on the average per truck? That aint half bad.............. CATKING

12. I went searching for a truck last year and bought a Chevy 1500 ext. cab, V-8 with tow package. But I would have bought any of the American trucks had the price been right. I don't think you can go wrong unless you buy from someone who has abused the vehicle. Buying from a private seller makes that a bit more possible, but you can find great deals. You have to match what you want and need with what's available in your price range. Any of the American trucks plus Toyota were on my list. If the Nissan stands up for a few years, I'd buy it too. I just chose the Chevy because it add more cab room than Fords, and it was well under book for a 2002. Mine booked for 20,365, and I got it for 16,995. Look at auctions and watch for "flyer ads" from small dealers. Sometime they put an outrageous price to sell something and get people on the lot. You just have to be lucky to get there first. My wife took one look at the truck the day I test drove and said "sold!".

Eric

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Best selling doesn't mean best quality. I bet McDonald's sells more meat than Hyde Park or Morton's each year :D

I think the chevy's are more expensive than a comparable Ranger. Then again, that 4.3 liter vortec in the Chevy's is the most powerful in it's class from what I remember.