Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Average Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am just getting started with my own boat, and have decided to keep it docked in Sandusky. I have fished lake erie for a few years, but only out of Fairport harbor and on someone else's boat. It seems the tactics are quite different there from the western basin.

I took the boat out Saturday for the first time this year, and had no success fishing north of Kelleys.

I just setup the boat with a planer mast, so I don't quite have the hang of it yet.

I tried using a 20 jet diver with a spoon, a spoon behind a deep diving crankbait, and small dipseys with crawler harnesses. We were marking quite a few fish, both suspended and near the bottom. From all of the talk on the radio, it seemed that the bite was slow all over, but it did sound like there was a bite. Most people were drifting, but I am not sure what was being used.

What would you recommend as a good starting tactic to use, assuming you were fishing around the islands ?

Was I doing something wrong Saturday, or was the bite just not happening?

I know a lot of the answer to this is personal preference, but I would appreciate any advice that you could give me.

I am planning on fishing this coming Saturday and the following Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Todd. The bite was tough on saturday. we trolled for a couple hours in the morning and only managed one. the spoon bite should be picking up any time now.
we use jet 20's, 30's and 40's off boards. #1 dipsys and 0 Dipsys will work great too. We use about a 6 foot leader on our spoons. Most the time when the bites decent we wont even worry about using the boards. Just run 2 rods each side with the dipsys set at 1 and 3. We have gotten many limits this way and you dont have to worry about taking the boards off the line. Alot will have to do with your boat size...we fish out of a 19 foot alumacraft so not alot of room for more than 4 or 5 rods.

Good luck and hope to see you on the water.

Mitch

PS: dont forget the Port Clinton Athletic Booster club tourney on May 22nd.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Get a good chart of the Western Basin. I'm not talking about the Fishing Hotsports, I'm refering to a regular Marine Chart. There are a lot of places to break up an outdrive or lower unit on the Western Basin. After that you can heed all the other advice and tips you get on this SUPER SITE. :) Good luck and keep the keel under water.

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,481 Posts
My buddy has been taking some very nice suspended fish north of Kellys.
He is using multiple setups,but crawler harnesses with Chartruese blades,using jets 30s 65 back on inline boards has been the hottest program.
If the Walleye marks are deeper let out more line or change to jet 40's,or you could always use bottom bouncers.
The crankbait bite has been slow for him although others are having some success on cranks.Pretty soon it will be spoon time!

·
Average Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up a supposedly good marine chart of the Western basin about a month ago and have seen some of the shallow spots you're referring to.

The one thing that bothers me about this map is that while we were fishing saturday north of kelley's, the map showed the maximum depth in this area as around 40' while my depthfinder was showing areas with 50' plus. I'm assuming that the map was wrong, mainly because I heard others on the radio talking about 50' depths and the sonar appeared to work correctly.

If you're familiar with the area north of Kelly's island, does 50' sound about right for the max depth?

Todd

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Todd,

I was out Saturday also, but fishing for other species and quite a bit East of you. All of the reports that I heard on the radio Saturday and later received talking to some friends was that Saturday was really slow.

Speaking of slow, what knid of speed were you running? Most have been running pretty slow right now, 1.4- 1.8 mph.

It sounds like you have a good headstart on having the right equipment and utilizing the right techniques. The best days are yet to come. You'll have great success with your jets and spoons and harnesses very soon, it's just a little tougher right now, kind of a feast or famine.

Make sure you join our chat session Monday evening. Our guest is a fisheries biologist with the DOW out of Sandusky, Maybe he can answer a few of your questions.

good luck,
Kim

·
Average Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was varying the speed between .8 and 1.8. I spent a little time aroud 2.5 - 3.0 just to see if they wanted something faster...they didn't.

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts