Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got married back in OCT and moved from home to an apt with the wife. Im looking for some help to find some spots with good fishing. I fish as much as I can however with my 50 hour work schedule and the amount of softball I play my time is limited. I live in Middleburg Hts now and I know there is Coe and Wallace practically in my backyard. I have heard mixed things about Coe and have never really caught a thing at Wallace in the past. Are there any other hot spots around? I usually go out to my boss's property in Ashland county. She has a 10 acre pond with some very nice fish in it. My best there is 21.5 inches and 6lbs (see pic). She has a boat load in the 2-4lb class. The pond will prob be crazy awesome in the future cause of what she has now. Basically the bottomline is Im sick of driving a hour or so just to fish and would love to find a few closer spots. If anyone has a fav and doesnt wanna tell everyone just shoot me a PM. I always practice catch and release and dont waste anytime when the fish is out of the water. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts
wish i could help but i live in akron.......

welcome to ogf :)

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
Auk23, I grew up in your area and it's a fishing dead zone. You have stocked rainbows in the Rocky in Strongsville. Smallies and Steelhead below Big Met. Hinckley Lake largemouth fishing is getting better each year and Lake Medina is worth a trip. Everything else is an hour or more. Stay Cool! --Tim.............................................................................................................................................................. Snout Terrestrial animal Organism Wildlife

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
You might want to explore the RockyRiver and learn what kind of fishin Erie offers from shore.

Might not be close....but Erie offers excellent fishing.

·
Amazing
365 Posts
Not much around here besides lake erie, wallace is fished out, coe is ok for bass mostly small ones

if you dont want to be disappointed just keep going to that farm pond

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Great Pic. That is a sweet bass.

Here is a site with links to lakes within your area and travel distances.
http://www.hookandbullet.com/c/fishing-middleburg-heights-oh/
Most within 10 miles. Use the scroll down arrow on the side of the index under the map. Clicking on the listing of the lake brings you to info on that spot.

And F,F, & F O 440-243-9400 They may know where & what is biting in your area.

Fin, Feather & Fur Outfitters of Ashland opened a satellite store in the Cleveland area June 22nd. with plans to eventually create a network of stores around Ohio.

“We’ve created a downsized version of our Ashland store in Middleburg Heights, with 20,000 square feet of hunting, fishing, camping and outdoor gear,” owner Mike Goschinski said. “The firearms section of the new store, however, is about the same size as what we have at the Ashland store.”

The family-owned Fin, Feather & Fur Outfitters opened in 1985 in the Ashland area. Goschinski created a 72,000-square-foot destination store in 2000. It is a short distance west of the original store on U.S. 250.

The new store is at 18030 Bagley Road, next to Kmart. Store hours are: Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; and Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. 440-243-9400

The metro parks pamphlet I attached lists 4 places but I have not been there.

To receive a complete guide to fishing areas
& programs, including maps,
call 216-351-6300.

Mill Stream Run Reservation
Rocky River - Bagley Road to Bennett Rd.
Wallace Lake
Ranger Lake (Pearl Rd.)
Bonnie Park Picnic Area Pond

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help fellas. I guess I will be expanding my searching then. Anyone have any suggestions? I guess with going to my boss's place the main issue is more then half the ride is off the highway which makes it suck. Any other suggestions would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone eles have any input?

I ventured to Coe Lake tonight to walk the dog. Saw a ton of people fishing, mostly just adults with there kids panfishing for sunfish and gills. Talked to a couple guys there fishing and got some tips and tricks and figure I will give it a shot soon. Catching any fish is better then catching no fish for the most part right? Even if i dont get a lunker still good by me for the location.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Coe has some big bass in it, but you have to put the work in to figure out where. The lake has a ton of structure so there are many places for the bass to hide. Go out with a depth finder and paddle around the part of the lake offshore from the steep rocky shoreline. I rarely see folks fishing out there and you will find that the bottom is not very flat. Lots of rocks, dropoffs and other things you would find in an old quarry. The rumour about 100'+ water in Coe is false. Maybe it was deep in the past and filled in. The deepest areas that I have found were in the 30' range. Everyone seems to fish the shorelines from a boat or from the shorelines. Try dropshotting artificial or live baits near the breakpoints in the deep water and you may be surprised what you find. Bass over 20" are available. Some good crappie as well.

Wallace is fished heavily but stocked heavily. Some good structure like Coe, but while the deep structure is mostly left alone at Coe, Wallace's structure is well known and hit pretty hard. I have caught dozens of 20"+ bass from Coe, one over 20" from wallace over the years. Good cats in Wallace due to lots of stockings for the kids events and leftover trout to eat once the water gets warm in summer. Fish the areas where water flows into the lake after a big rain.

Other public ponds in the area are not as good. Byers pond in south Berea was good when it was private. Once the metroparks took it over and made it public, it was quickly fished out. I witnessed guys hauling out ice chests full of crappie, bluegill, and bass the first year it was "open". Now it's hard to pry a decent fish from there. Ranger lake is not worth the time, even when floating it. Lakes & ponds around Hinkley can produce at times, but are best through the ice. Hinkley lake can provide some nice bass, but the carp are taking over a lake that is now filled with sediment and often muddy from rains. What used to be good pike habitat is now filled with carp.

If you have time/funds to drive a bit further, I would try:

* Erie lakefront, fall and spring are best for walleye (night), bass, steelhead.
* Wellington upground, good panfish, bass, cats, and a few walleye and pike.
* Ladue, great bass, good crappie (big ones deep/trolling), fair panfish, a few walleye.
* Mogadore, bass and panfish.
* Make a friend with someone who owns the ponds off rte 10 or I-90 near the turnpike...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Take up Steelhead fishing. The Rocky River is in our backyard. In a few months excellent fishing will be only 15 minutes away (hopefully, last year was a little slow, for me atleast). Right now there's plenty of smallmouth throughout the system. Wade different sections and learn the areas. A lot of the same areas that hold bass, will hold Steelies when it gets cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info fellas!
I saw alot of what was said about coe lastnight. No one seemed to be in the back area at all. I could visibly see some of the cover out there to be fished and couldnt believe knowone was utilizing it. The water grass, exposed rock pile in the southwest corner, down trees, etc. I will def be trying it in the next few days for sure.

I do steelhead already. I am on a streak of 3 springs in a row of FOH's and 2 out of 3 in the fall. I have gotten pretty familiar with the river for wading. A friend of mine's family owns a bunch of private land that backs to the river where we fish. They get all sorts of piled up in there.

Thanks for the tips again fellas.

For erie what are the good shore spots? Like E. 55th area? Power plant?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The exposed rock pile looks better than it fishes. I have caught a few smaller ones very early in the morning. There ae other rock piles that you can't see within sight of the Gazebo that fish much better. The shoreline past the big rock pile is interesting: wood, overhanging trees, weeds, and 16' of water within 5' of the shore. The area I was mentioning is down the shore from there, where you see a high gravel wall. The area between there and the island is fairly deep with a lot of structure. Not many fish that area since there aren't visual things to throw at - you have to search for the structure.

Any of the public areas on Erie will produce fish at the right times. East 72nd (powerplant) and Edgewater are the two more popular areas. For steelies in the fall, I normally drive to the Fairport long wall for better numbers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for your help Steel....

Got out there about 6am this am. Saw a bunch of decent fish by my standards and a ton of schooled bait fish. Fishing pressure was pretty hard. 3 guys in boats and another 6 from shore all mostly in the same area of the lake at 615am. A few more people showed up a little later. Seemed like the popular bet was Soft plastics which like everyone was fishing. So I had to switch it up to be out of the norm. Ended up landing 2 and missed 4 more. Only other guy that got any that i saw was a guy in a small 1 guy pontoon throwing a tube jig on a point not reachable from shore. Got my first on a blk 3/8oz buzzbait and my second on a wht and char 1/4 chatterbait. They were on opposite sides of the lake from each other, all from shore.

Thanks again for the help / suggestions. I will probably be returning cause its close and there is stuff there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts