Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

My name is Joe and I'm relatively new to the area. I'm trying to find some great fishing locations. I know that if you're like me you won't divuldge the true "hot spots", but I'm hoping to get some information on where some good places to start are.

About me, I'm in the Air Force and moved here a few months ago. Just now getting ready to get into the outdoors scene around here. I grew up in Wyoming where I did a lot of hunting and fishing growing up. We mostly caught trout, walleye, and catfish back home. But, I've done a little bass and crappie fishing in Mississippi and North Carolina on previous assignments.

I don't have a boat, so I'm a shore fisherman. I prefer to take my catch home and try new recipes and ways too cook with fish and game meat.

I'm stationed at Wright Patt in Dayton, and about the only place I've heard of so far is Ceaser Creek. I don't mind going to busy areas, but I prefer the serenity of a calm, quit lake, river, stream over the crowded ones. If anyone has any tips or advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doubt you'll get many responses based on your post about taking them home to eat. I think most of us on here fish for the sport of it and practice catch and release.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe it's a little different out here then back home. Trout is a delicious meal. That's about the only freshwater fish that I consume along with salmon and steelhead. Of course, some of the fish around here are completely new to me, though I've heard that some are very tasty.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Doubt you'll get many responses based on your post about taking them home to eat. I think most of us on here fish for the sport of it and practice catch and release.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I take home a lot of fish to eat and so do a lot of people that visit this site. What makes you think that everyone is C/R ? I consider myself a good sportsman and to tell someone who just starts to visit the site that they won't get responses to their post because they don't catch and release is absurd.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Joe,
Welcome to Ohio and thank you for serving our country in the Air Force!

As to locations, we have several rivers and a few lakes in the area. I haven't fished the rivers much but just look around here on OGF for any threads about the Great Miami or Little Miami (GMR and LMR ). For lakes, there's Caesar creek, cj brown in Springfield, Cowan lake, Eastwood lake and Kiser lake (a bit more of a drive). You may want to try Eastwood, as it's off of route 4 and close to the base. Fishing is ok but you can't beat how close it is. Google Eastwood metro park to find location and park website.

Check out the different threads on here... You've found the right place for info on the web here!

Good luck!
Scott
Sent from my ADR6350 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
11 dayz
10,576 Posts
Welcome to the site Joe. I live in Huber and there is a lot of good fishing around. Kiser lake, Eastwood, The great Miami river , the mad river and a few farm ponds that if you ask they will let you fish and take a few home to eat. I take my Grandson out every weekend and we never fail to have a fish dinner.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Welcome to the area. I’m about an hour away and I’m not personally familiar with a lot of the water up in your area but there’s plenty of fishing in the vicinity of Wright Patt. Others have pretty much covered what's nearby but you might also look at the Central Ohio forum too, you're not that far away from that area.
I’m primarily a catch & release guy but I’ll keep one every once in a while. I’d recommend reading the EPA’s consumption advisory.

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/portals/35/fishadvisory/fishadvisory_pamphlet.pdf

Maybe it's a little different out here then back home. Trout is a delicious meal. That's about the only freshwater fish that I consume along with salmon and steelhead.
This is a far cry from Wyoming; cold water streams are a rare thing around here. Lake Erie tributaries in the Northeast corner of the state during the cold weather months have steelhead fishing and the State is putting some time and effort into improving it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome! All the lakes around you here is a link to a bunch of lakes. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/facilitiesmaps/ohioboating/tabid/495/Default.aspx

If you copy and paste that you can see the lakes near your. I tend to fish so I can bring a few home when I go fishing. I never keep black bass.

If you like river fishing then sauger are the fish you need to learn how to catch! They taste just like eyes'

·
Registered
609 Posts
i agree with chrsvic - wpafb lakes are stocked pretty decently. several large catfish has been taken as well. not overly fished either.

all thumbs

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think I would trust eating anything out of the great Miami either. I would think especially south of dayton. Maybe the more north you go the cleaner the water may be. I wouldn't eat anything out of caesers creek right now. It may be fine but I wouldn't chance it. I fish from shore there a lot and there are some really big bass. Cowan lake would be my choice though fishing from shore. The lake is a lot shallower and smaller than caesers creek which I think makes the fish easier to find.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow,

I didn't expect such a response!! I appreciate y'alls help and advice. I'm gonna start looking through some of the areas you guys mentioned now and put a game plan together for the holiday weekend.

Joe

·
CJ Wolfpack
473 Posts
Joe thanks for your service. As far as lakes go Kiser lake is good for panfish,bass,cats and wipers it is a no motor lake and they rent row boats on the east end of the lake. CJ brown is a good place for walleye and they can be caught from shore check out CJ temps site. The Mad river has trout up in Champaign and Logan counties with some public access welcome to Ohio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my name is Eugenio and I'm not new to the area but I'm new to the fishing world.

I just want to use this thread and not open a new one for the same purpose of this one.

Something really quick about myself....I work for the Air Force (Active Duty), don't have money for a boat (saving to buy one), I'm from Puerto Rico so English is my second language, and I'm looking forward to learn as much as possible about bass fishing. I fish once a week the base housing pond.

I was told that the base housing pond is stocked, but is really hard to catch a bass or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I have plans for this weekend to fish at Delco Park in Kettering, just to try something new and see if I have better luck.

If someone if fishing in the base area or Kettering and is able to teach me a few stuff to improve, PLEASE let me know!!!!

Thank you,

Eugenio (M-16)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Jeeprider thank you for your sacrifices and service to our great country. I'm off to Indian Lake tomorrow fishing for crappies and saugeye and have not heard from my buds so am assuming they're not going so... I have an open seat. If you can get the day off and would like to go, pick up your office phone and call me at 79101 before EOB today.
Dave

·
Registered
969 Posts
Upper Mad River has Brown trout and some Rainbow's in it. At least I think there are still some Rainbows in there. About 45 minutes to an hour North of Dayton. Try the Lippincott Rd/ SR 29 area. That was always a good stretch of water. Easy area to wade also easy to find on a map or on line.
The trout up there love nightcrawlers. Not a good bait for C & R but if your gonna keep them it's best bait I ever used for them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Far cry from Wyo indeed. I spent some time in the Snowy Mountain Range west of Laramie trout fishing...What an awesome experience that was!
I live just down the road from you in Beavercreek. I have a boat and fish Rocky Fork Lake and Paint Creek Lake in Hillsboro Ohio area. It's an hour drive but they are less crowded than some of the aforementioned lakes closer to Dayton. I'm short a fishing partner right now if you are ever interested in bass fishing on a boat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.