close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Ohio

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bailey, Aug 10, 2004.

1. I'm new to Ohio and am looking for a place to do some shore fishing in the central Ohio area (within a short drive of Columbus). I grew up fishing small lakes in WI for panfish and bass, so could also use some tips for fishing rivers or fishing for other kinds of fish. Thanks for the tips!

2. welcome to the best state ever....
    and i sure you'll become a buckeye fan :D :D
    what part of columbus are you in???
    theres tons of creeks and a few lakes.....
    the 3 big lakes are alum,hoover and buckeye...all are great lakes..
    so let me know...i'll let you know what i know....
    thanks
    fish4wall

3. I'm working on becoming a Buckeye fan, but those Cheesehead roots run deep!
    I live in Hilliard now. Don't mind driving an hour or two for good fishing, but it would be great if there was also fishing close by (even if it's not great fishing), where I could drop in a line for an hour or two after work. Thanks!

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

There are several options available to you. The larger lakes are harder to bank fish, though it can be done. The rivers are good to wade - for numbers. The small ponds can be very productive during the right times. Don't forget Griggs and O'Shaughnessy reservoirs. They have decent bank access. Antrim isn't bad either - good scenery (females walking dogs,etc). Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Most of the guys and girls are quite helpful.

Oh yeah, GO BUCKS!

5. Check out Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park on the southwest side of Columbus. I have never fished that section of Darby Creek but have fished lots of areas below there and its a great creek. Lots of fun if you like to wade fish. You can catch tons of small smallies and rockbass, white bass, sunfish, catfish as well as carp and suckers. You will get into some nice size smallies every once in a while also. I'm sure the fishing wont be as good as WI but there are plenty of good places around here to wet a line. Tell us some of the places you fished in WI?

6. I almost forgot GO BUCKS! And dont think for one second that them badgers are going to do the Buckeyes in like they did last year.:mad: I do have to say that was one of the greatest plays I have ever seen in football. A few plays before they got that last touchdown I said they are not going to try for OT, they are going to go for it all to bad I was right.

7. From a fellow cheesehead, welcome to Ohio. The guys are right, Darby is an excellent creek. Take Cemetery Road west out of Hilliard and you will run into The Big Darby. Park right before the creek and you can walk either way to fish. Good smallie creek.
    What part of Wisconsin are you from? I was born and raised in Green Bay. God bless the Green Bay Packers! Been here 18 years now and still not a Buckeye fan. Behold the power of cheese!

8. Right with ya,From California. Been here 7 years and still cant stand the Buckeys.... GO huh,,,huh,, Michigan :p

9. Football season is getting close, you non-buckeye fans will have to visit another site until the season is over!:D Been nice talking to ya, see next year.

10. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Being fairly new to the Buckeye State myself, I must say I have quickly become a Buckeye Fan... the yr I arrived here in the US and watched the team, guess what, they won the Championship... (Irish luck on they're side or what) GO BUCKS !!!!

p.s I'll have to try out Darby Creek hmmmmmm

11. Hey Irish, I've been wanting to ask what brought you to the US? My family came over from Ireland sometime in the 1870's or 1880's. I have always wanted to visit there.

12. irishfisherman

Well i came over here in the summer of 2002, i met a gal from this area back in 2000 in Europe on vacation, needless to say we hit it off lol after several visits back & forth to each other (costly as they were) i decided to pop the question... and here i am :-D

If you ever get the chance to go over there, TAKE IT, its a beautiful place (especially to go on vacation) The fishing aint the same mind u, alot of diff. species, with they're own methods too, i love the challenge and the thrill of game fishing here, the fight of a good bass or panfish on your line.. i came from the N. East of the country (County Antrim) the coastline for the most part is very rugged, alot of fishing villiages, offering good sea fishing, and inland we have some of the best coarse fishing in Europe (Lough Erne etc.. in County Fermanagh) ok i know you aint gonna pronounce any of thos names but hey LOL

I'm heading down to Caesar Creek this weekend, hopefully get lucky with some shore fishing in the coves around the stumpy/weedy areas i hear are good...

13. Man... I didn't mean to rile up the Buckeye Fans! I do have to agree with JPackr though, "God Bless the Green and Gold"!

Thanks for letting me know about Darby Creek, I'll try it out this weekend. What kinds of lures should I try? And, are there any laws regarding where you can and can't fish on the creek? Is any of it considered private property, or is there any sort of easement along the shore?

14. Bailey - Being in Hilliard there are many good places to fish well within 30 minutes of you. On the Scioto you have Griggs and O'Shaunessy Reservoirs with plenty of wadable water between them and, as mentioned, you are a resonable distance from the Big Darby. There are numerous ponds in the Hilliard/Dublin area that allow fishing with the most notible being Heritage Park on Cosgray. Jumping on 270 you can access Antrim Lake (an old quarry) and the Olentangy River by getting to 315 and Alum & Hoover really are not that far off of 270. Delaware Lake is maybe 45 minutes away. There are MANY places to fish around central Ohio if you don't have a boat. I found most of them long before the internet was common by getting maps and scouting out the waterways, lakes, and parks on them.

15. irishfisherman

Where abouts is Heritage Park on Cosgray? I'm gonna have to get down that way and give Darby Creek a shot sometime, sounds like a nice creek from what u guys have said... If i was coming from the west side, should i take 270 NE or SE to find Antrim Quarry ?

Again thanks for supplying all the info...

16. Heritage Park is between Hayden Run Road and Scioto Darby Road on Cosgray.

For Antrim take 270 North (or East depending on where you get on at) to 315 south (the exit is between Sawmill and Route 23) and take it to the 161 exit (first exit off 315). Make a right and get to the left quickly to make a left on Olentangy River Road (there is a light there) and follow it to the flashing light in front of Antrim Lake (make a left into the park).

17. irishfisherman

thanks again for the directions..... much appreciated :D

18. Bailey,

Go Pack!!!!! There also is a pond south of Roberts road between Walcutt and 270. There are Bass and Bluegill in there.

19. Let's remember to take the Buckeye sports thing to the proper forum. Okie Dokie.
    I hate football and hockey and basketball and sure don't want to hear about it on my fishing pages.
    I think that's what the "LOUNGE" is for, right?

:p Blah, Blah, Blah, Now I'll get yelled at. I'm NOT trying to start anything fellas. What's right is right.