New to OGF

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by QueticoMike, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Hello, my name is Mike and I'm a smallmouth junkie. It's a bad addicition I know, but I don't think medical science will ever be able to come up with a cure. I live on the GMR, it's basically my back yard. I canoe and wade all the time.
    Went 1.5 miles north of my house on Tuesday after work and floated back down until dark. Me and buddy probably had a good 2 hours of fishing. We caught about 20 smallies, mostly on zulus and black buzz baits. The biggest fish around 2 pounds was caught by my buddy on a zara spook. I decided to do the same float by myself on Wed. night, since I couldn't find anyone else to go. I caught 11 that night. 5 of them over 1.5 pounds, the biggest went around 2.5 pounds. It was a stout fish, it was all body, maybe 16 inches long, but all fish. There was probably less than inch seperating the thick body and the tail. Caught that one right above some rapids. Water continues to be low and had to do some canoe dragging, but it was worth it. 2 fish were caught on the black buzz bait, the biggest being around 2 lbs. The rest of the fish were caught on zulus. Water is extremely clear, so long casts are the rule. Didn't go fishin' last night had to go to a B-day party. I'm sure I'll get my share of fishin' in this weekend. It's been nice reading your posts, it's good to see there are others around here who know how to fish the GMR. Good luck!

2. imalt

imalt Banned

where abouts are you floating. are you up by troy or dayton or south.

3. imalt

imalt Banned

you guys up that way have it way too easy.:) takes all the fun out of fishing if there is no challenge.

4. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

LOL, come give it a try if you think it's that easy. Just lots of skilled outdoorsman up this way:) .

Welcome Mike, I am sure you will find this site very informative.

5. imalt

imalt Banned

skill takes too long i just rely on luck:) you guys have to admit you definitely have the better part of the river up north at least for sm.

6. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Based on postings I have seen on this site, I would say northern pike is the only fish we seem to have advantage on. You guys further south catch all sorts of fish that don't exist up here. Guess the grass always seems greener on the other side of fence;) .

7. You forgot to mention that the smallmouth fight alot harder on the northern stretches of the GMR :)

8. imalt

imalt Banned

that is true. I could do without the catfish though. I havent gotten in to any white bass or hybrids though. fishing anywhere is good enough for me:)

9. iteech

iteech Shebasser

...but I think it's the only disease you can have that you'd pray there would NEVER be a cure. I can't even imagine what kind of trouble wasn't gotten into 'cause you were fishing instead. When a friend of my husband's asked him why didn't he suspect I was having an affair--because I was gone fishing so much--my better half roared with laughter and said "well I WOULD suspect that if I thought she'd like ANY man better than she likes fishing...but the truth is, she DON'T. And that includes me, as you can see!":p Well said, dear, well said. But honey, you ARE second, so that's pretty good, right?:) Welcome to the forum, Mike.