Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught my first muskie last year while fishing the Muskingum river for bass and I was hooked ever since. I will primarily be fishing from the shore at Alum Creek. Any advice on lures, techniques, or areas to target would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other lakes in the central Ohio area that are good for muskie?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey congrats on the muskie last year. as far as Alum I have not fished it yet, but I am iching to go over there. Clear fork I another good Central Ohio lake.
what part of the Muskingum did you get hooked at? sorry I could not help you more on lures and color. east Ohio has Salt fork lake by Guernsey county. Leesville Lake in Carroll county. Milton, Berlin and Michael J. Kirwan Res.(west branch). in Mahoning and Portage county. and on the line of Ohio and P.A. has Pymatuning Lake. I do not know to much of the southern lakes. Alum creek is as south as I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the lakes. I pass by Salt Fork from time to time so I'll definitely have to check that out. I caught mine in the tailwaters of Devola dam just outside of Marietta.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Lures:

Bucktails: Mepps marabou, Bucher 700 series

Spinnerbaits: Grim Reaper, Bucher slopmaster

Crank/Jerk Baits: Jakes(Maina), Ernies(Maina), Shallowraider(Bucher), Depthraider(Bucher)

Topwater: Jackpot, Topraider

These are a few to get you started. As far as colors go, black is always good, firetiger, and since fishing in Ohio, shad colored.

Get a good muskie rod, and baitcaster reel, 80-100lb super braid, a good net, needle nose pliers, mini bolt cutters and you should be set but be warned: once you get started you will not be able to turn back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts