close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New (to me) Wacky Worm Technique

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mcmd8700, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I was fishing the old wacky worm yesterday, and doing pretty well. While I was loosing daylight, and the ability to see my line, I started to retrieve my wacky worm at a fast rate, just to pack it in for the night. Fish on! So, for another 1/2 hour I contiued to use a semi-quick retrieve much like a spinner bait, and it produced. The trick was to keep the wacky underneath the water and not retrieve too fast, but at the same time keep it moving away off of the bottom. The strikes I got were very agressive! Don't know if anyone else has tried it, but please post this and other ways to fish this lure.

2. I've had nice success with the Wacky Worm on pond largemouth bass. Like you, it seems like dusk was a good time. I used mine like this: Cast is out. Let it sink some. Give it a twitch and let it sink some more. Ususally it never reached bottom before a LMB would smash it.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

What color works best for you guys? Also how much weight if any do you use. I really have to try that. since nothing else is working to goo the last few weeks.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Ive had good luck with Senkos with no weight, best color seems to be dark green/black flake and black/blue flake

Good Luck

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Thanks I'll give a few a try tomorrow.

6. I really like the Senkos also. I use a Dark Green with Black/Gold flake a good bit and Black/Blue. I get more bites on Yamamoto baits then I do with comparable senko style baits for some reason. It prob has to do with the fall rate, weight, movement, salt content, etc.....just hard to pinpoint exactly what.

7. Guys,

I love the Senko this time of year. Weightless texas-rigged in blue/blue flake and green pumpkin/green flake. The darker colors seemed to produce more than something like white. Dale, I have used the blue variety at Griggs with some success. I haven't rigged it wacky style, but I figure the vibes it gives off swimming it would be great for aggressive bass. I just use it like a worm, save that it sinks slower being weightless and kind of sways back and forth instead of just dropping. I lift the rod and pop it a couple times and let it drop again.

Eric

8. Irishfisherman,
    It's a soft plastic bait. It's mostly a finesse style bait since its straight and round. They come in different lengths but the 5" Senko is about 3/8oz by itself I believe. Due to the weight they are easy baits to flip/pitch and cast without any weight at all. They are also very soft and loaded with salt. The best way to fish them normally is just cast them out and let it sink, if it touches the bottom hop them a foot or two. Don't impart any action to them, just let them do their own thing. If that doesn't work than maybe you need to change it up a little. Do that a couple times and repeat. I mostly fish the Senko around weedbeds , docks, and wood. There are also other methods of fishing senkos such as the wacky rig. This works great too. If you want to see what a Senko looks like then goto www.baits.com and check them out. They are great baits, in fact I like all Yamamoto baits. They do tear and wear out easily though so you want to get creative on ways to keep them from slipping down the hook. I often shove a toothpick through the senko and eyelet of the hook to keep it from sliding down the hook. This will make them last a lot longer. Once they wear out that way you can fish them a while longer sometimes wacky style.

Have a good one and good luck.

9. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Hey thanks man, i'v heard u guys talkin about em' alot, never knew what the hell they were, will have to look out for them sometime...

What colour(s) do u suggest? I like the sound of them having weight, i never know how to rig up a worm or plastic with a weight anyway :confused:

p.s call me Paul...

10. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I have always done well with white colored senkos, like salt and pepper especially. But I have went to the Yum Dingers recently and have had good success on them as well, maybe even more. I get the cotton candy (pink) and the Ozark smoke (gray/blue) colors. The Yum Dingers last 3-5 times longer and cost less. Senkos are 6 bucks for ten, and you can go through 2 packs if you skip or get hung up. Yum Dingers are 4 bucks for 15, and 1 pack will last 2 or 3 fishing half-days. The Cotton Candy ones tear them up at Springfield Lake. 3 trips = over 40 bass. Mogadore is definately a white senko lake though. BTW, I wacky rig them. I only texas rig them if I am scooting over pads.

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I like watermelon, black blue, baby bass and other assorted green hues.

12. I always use the 4" Yum Dinger watermelon red flake. It works great, my go to bait. On occasion I will spot fish, or actually look for bass near the surface in clear water. I will tell you that every time I see a bass, and throw the dinger in it's vicinity, it eats it every time. I've caught some monsters on that bait, and I always have it tied on. The key is to let the bass eat it, and not get too anxious. It's hard to get used to, but I impart a countdown to three one thousand after I see my line move. It seems to work well.