close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to me outboard?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Santa2ya, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Just picked up a 1979 aluminum 16' starcraft with a 70 evenrude. I have had I/O boats but this is my first outboard. Previous owner stated he hadn't used it in a couple years but did change the lower oil this past summer. Seems to run a little rough at idle so I am thinking of a carb rebuild over the winter and plugs.

Tips are appreciated.

2. I would have a mechanic certified in your type of engine go through the whole nine yards. Carb rebuild (if needed) tune up, properly gapped new plugs, new water impeller/water pump definitely! Might also want to have compression check done also. Just a few thoughts. I'd also have the engine fogged for winter and the prop inspected before spring ice out. A good mechanic worth his weight should be able to go over everything with you as if it was his own engine he was taking care of. Hope this helps. :B

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

fresh gas and some new hoses /connections might be in order along with new plugs. they might be cracked and have dried out orings causing some air leakage. another thing i would do is decarb the engine.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster