Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So after many years of living in ashtabula county and hearing all the good stories, getting taken out every now and then on lake erie to fish, I have decided to buy a boat.

I bought a small boat (18ft starweld with 175horse yamaha) so I can trust I can make it out on decently nice days.

So my question to you guys is...
WHERE DO I START?
What do I buy for walleye and perch?
Is there any reading material you can point me to so that I can Learn how to make my lures work?
I understand dipsy divers and worm harnesses but I don't understand crankbaits and planer boards?

And last but not least....
Any tips on a decent spot to fish out of from conneaut to fairport...

I certainly appreciate any help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would start the easy way. Go and buy a few perch rods. You may want to jump right into the walleye thing but I think you need to get use to your new boat and the lake. Perch are fun for everyone to catch. While you are out there keep your radio on the local channel. See what you can pick up listening to the boats around you. Than you will have all kinds of questions about what is that what does that mean. Go visit a good tackle shop like Erie outfitters. Than you can buy every color lure that's hot that week. Next week buy some more.
Good luck I bet you will never have all the stuff you need.
When you think you do. You will see a guy with a broom stick and some string. Don't get mad when he says he just got his limit. That's fishing

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was in your position a couple of years ago. I am no expert, but from here is what I did to start.

First, safety. Make sure you have all of your equipment and know how to use it. Foremost, in a boat like yours and mine you have to pick your days and be wise enough to know when you have picked wrong and get off the lake. For me the waves make fishing miserable before it becomes unsafe. Learn how to read the weather forecast. I would like to go this Saturday, but IWind is calling for 15 mph winds. Even though NOAA is call for 1 foot or less off shore. It is confusing.

For equipment, get a good fish finder with GPS. I have a Lawrance and would not want to be without it. Get a good net.

As for fishing pick one system and learn it, if you try to figure it all our you will go nuts trying to learn everything. I run planer boards with Tattle Tails on 7' Ugly Sticks with 10 LB Mono on line counter reels. Planer board are fairly simple, let your line out a certain distance based on the depth you want, clip on the board and let it out until it is as far to the side as you want, that is all they do. Run two to a side, more than that and it can be a mess for a beginner. When you hook up, reel the board close to the reel tip and remove it. You can run what you want behind them. Reef Runner Cranks, Stinger spoons with Jet Divers and harnesses with weights or Jet Divers are the standard fair. The rest of it is speed vs distance back from where you connect the board. Lots of variations of this but that is my simple version.

Finding fish is the hard part. You can cruise looking for marks before you fish, but you will spend a lot of time riding and not much fishing. I generally try that, then just start trolling. Never had any luck fishing with the pack of boats that I see but that is a popular way to start.

Perch are a complete mystery to me. Never can catch any.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For this year keep it simple. Dipseys and worm harnesses. Pick up little tips when you can. I would recommend attending walleye wisdom seminar in January put on by vics. I would be happy to take you out for an educational trip out of Bula if you need one. This is my home port for the summer. I am fishing out a similar boat as yours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For this year keep it simple. Dipseys and worm harnesses. Pick up little tips when you can. I would recommend attending walleye wisdom seminar in January put on by vics. I would be happy to take you out for an educational trip out of Bula if you need one. This is my home port for the summer. I am fishing out a similar boat as yours.
Oh nice! Vics in kent?

I think I will stick to dipsys and worm harnesses for a little bit...

I'll get back with you about hooking up this summer though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in your position a couple of years ago. I am no expert, but from here is what I did to start.

First, safety. Make sure you have all of your equipment and know how to use it. Foremost, in a boat like yours and mine you have to pick your days and be wise enough to know when you have picked wrong and get off the lake. For me the waves make fishing miserable before it becomes unsafe. Learn how to read the weather forecast. I would like to go this Saturday, but IWind is calling for 15 mph winds. Even though NOAA is call for 1 foot or less off shore. It is confusing.

For equipment, get a good fish finder with GPS. I have a Lawrance and would not want to be without it. Get a good net.

As for fishing pick one system and learn it, if you try to figure it all our you will go nuts trying to learn everything. I run planer boards with Tattle Tails on 7' Ugly Sticks with 10 LB Mono on line counter reels. Planer board are fairly simple, let your line out a certain distance based on the depth you want, clip on the board and let it out until it is as far to the side as you want, that is all they do. Run two to a side, more than that and it can be a mess for a beginner. When you hook up, reel the board close to the reel tip and remove it. You can run what you want behind them. Reef Runner Cranks, Stinger spoons with Jet Divers and harnesses with weights or Jet Divers are the standard fair. The rest of it is speed vs distance back from where you connect the board. Lots of variations of this but that is my simple version.

Finding fish is the hard part. You can cruise looking for marks before you fish, but you will spend a lot of time riding and not much fishing. I generally try that, then just start trolling. Never had any luck fishing with the pack of boats that I see but that is a popular way to start.

Perch are a complete mystery to me. Never can catch any.
Safety- check

See what are tattle tails? And run my line all the way out then hook a board to it , let more line out till its as far off the boat I want?

When running cranks, do I need to add weight?

How do I run jetdivers and my dipsy more efficiently? How much line after dipsy to bait?

I'm sorry so many questions o_O

·
Registered
213 Posts
Go out with a good charter captain that specializes in teaching you the craft. It will be money well spent. I know of a couple great teachers in the Western Basin. Capt.Jules and Larry Lambert, I'm sure that there are more out there.Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
See what are tattle tails? And run my line all the way out then hook a board to it , let more line out till its as far off the boat I want?

When running cranks, do I need to add weight?

How do I run jetdivers and my dipsy more efficiently? How much line after dipsy to bait?
A Tattle Tail Flag is an accessory that you put on a planer board. It is a spring loaded flag that drops to give you a visual indication that you have a fish on. Look it up on YouTube and you will see how it works. Not needed for the board to work but makes it easier to see fish on.

I don't know Dipsy Divers, but my understanding is they give you depth and run your line out to the sides. A planer board runs your lines out to the sides. You get your depth by what you connect to the board. So you can use weights, Jet divers or the lip of a crank bait to give you depth behind the board that spreads you lines. This combination replaces the Dipsy Diver.

So for example you want to fish a Reef Runner 15FT deep. you would let the Reef Runner out 48Ft (based on a chart). Then connect the planer board (connects directly to your line with two clips) and let the whole thing out until it is spread out to your liking. You may have 100 Ft of line out, but the crank is only affected by the distance from it to the board (48FT). You adjust the depth by the length from the bait to the board and your trolling speed. Another reason a good GPS with digital speed is a benefit.

You can get the chart of line length vs depth and speed from several sources. Most lures and divers come with the information, Precision Trolling is a book that has all of the charts and they also have an app for smart phones. For some guys it is a real science, I'm not that good. I go for consistency, I run a baits back at different distances (depths) and when I find success I start running more lines at that distance. A lot of times you will hear reports on this site or the radio while you are fishing that they are taking them on Reef Runners 60 Ft back at 1.5 mph or 2 Oz. weights back 60 at 2 mph. That is what they are talking about.

Generally, you don't run weights with cranks. I think you can, but it beyond my skill level. Generally people run Reef Runner 800 and deep diving Husky Jerks without weights.

My set up is to attach a good sized snap to the end of my line. Then I can connect it to a Jet diver or weight. I use Fluorcarbon line for a leader with a barrel swivel on the end to connect to the back of the Jet or weight. I usually run about 7 Ft of leader. When you reel in the Jet or weight will stop at the rod end and you need to be able to lift the rod tip and pull the fish to the net. Make sure you have at least one good swivel in the set up to keep from twisting lines. I run cranks on a leader with a barrel swivel connected to the snap on the end of my mono main line.

There are guys that are really into the details and I am sure they catch fish when I can't. It is fun to learn and play with but it is more important to fish with what gives you confidence and add things as you go. The old man I bought my boat from was a one trick pony. He ran Stinger spoons on Dipsy Divers and that was it. He had fun and caught fish.

Lots of good information on this site and guys willing to help, use the search feature before asking and you will find a lot things have already been covered in detail. But don't hesitate to ask, I'm like you a lot of what is said is hard to understand for a beginner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Tattle Tail Flag is an accessory that you put on a planer board. It is a spring loaded flag that drops to give you a visual indication that you have a fish on. Look it up on YouTube and you will see how it works. Not needed for the board to work but makes it easier to see fish on.

I don't know Dipsy Divers, but my understanding is they give you depth and run your line out to the sides. A planer board runs your lines out to the sides. You get your depth by what you connect to the board. So you can use weights, Jet divers or the lip of a crank bait to give you depth behind the board that spreads you lines. This combination replaces the Dipsy Diver.

So for example you want to fish a Reef Runner 15FT deep. you would let the Reef Runner out 48Ft (based on a chart). Then connect the planer board (connects directly to your line with two clips) and let the whole thing out until it is spread out to your liking. You may have 100 Ft of line out, but the crank is only affected by the distance from it to the board (48FT). You adjust the depth by the length from the bait to the board and your trolling speed. Another reason a good GPS with digital speed is a benefit.

You can get the chart of line length vs depth and speed from several sources. Most lures and divers come with the information, Precision Trolling is a book that has all of the charts and they also have an app for smart phones. For some guys it is a real science, I'm not that good. I go for consistency, I run a baits back at different distances (depths) and when I find success I start running more lines at that distance. A lot of times you will hear reports on this site or the radio while you are fishing that they are taking them on Reef Runners 60 Ft back at 1.5 mph or 2 Oz. weights back 60 at 2 mph. That is what they are talking about.

Generally, you don't run weights with cranks. I think you can, but it beyond my skill level. Generally people run Reef Runner 800 and deep diving Husky Jerks without weights.

My set up is to attach a good sized snap to the end of my line. Then I can connect it to a Jet diver or weight. I use Fluorcarbon line for a leader with a barrel swivel on the end to connect to the back of the Jet or weight. I usually run about 7 Ft of leader. When you reel in the Jet or weight will stop at the rod end and you need to be able to lift the rod tip and pull the fish to the net. Make sure you have at least one good swivel in the set up to keep from twisting lines. I run cranks on a leader with a barrel swivel connected to the snap on the end of my mono main line.

There are guys that are really into the details and I am sure they catch fish when I can't. It is fun to learn and play with but it is more important to fish with what gives you confidence and add things as you go. The old man I bought my boat from was a one trick pony. He ran Stinger spoons on Dipsy Divers and that was it. He had fun and caught fish.

Lots of good information on this site and guys willing to help, use the search feature before asking and you will find a lot things have already been covered in detail. But don't hesitate to ask, I'm like you a lot of what is said is hard to understand for a beginner.
Wow! Thanks for the information dude! Very very good starting point!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can tell you that I honestly learned more about fishing/trolling lake Erie in 2 days fishing with Captain Chuck at Ohio Sportfishing (Site Sponsor) than I had learned about the lake in the last 8 years of coming up from Cincinnati roughly 5 days a year.

I am making my first trip with own boat in June. I am again going with him on day 1 then fishing for 3 more days on my own boat.

·
FFL/SOT
419 Posts
We need more info.
Do you have trolling rods and line counter reels?
Are they calibrated?
Do you prefer to slow troll with nightcrawlers or fast troll with spoons and cranks?
How many are you going to be fishing with?
Are you going to stay local or run west?
There's a lot of knowledge on this forum and most are more than willing to help but you have to be more specific about what your trying to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We need more info.
Do you have trolling rods and line counter reels?
Are they calibrated?
Do you prefer to slow troll with nightcrawlers or fast troll with spoons and cranks?
How many are you going to be fishing with?
Are you going to stay local or run west?
There's a lot of knowledge on this forum and most are more than willing to help but you have to be more specific about what your trying to do.
Trolling rods with line counters yes.... calibration...no... tape measure and pull line out?
It's just going to be myself and one or two guys.
I was always told to sTay anywhere between 2.3 and 2.6 mph trolling worms.. is that correct?
And I usually run my lines about 110 ft?
I'm going to stay local for now till I learn a little more...

Went out for perch tonight.... just drown some minnows and fed some seagulls.

Used spreaders... dropped to bottom and a few cranks up. Seemed like people around me caught fish.

But nothing beats being on a boat!

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Book a small boat hands on "learning charter" with a reputable captain. Like any of those who are listed here, and shorten your learning curve.

·
FFL/SOT
419 Posts
Get your reels calibrated. I don't troll a lot with worms but most people I know that do don't run that fast. Had a long day but I'll send ya a pm tomorrow on running cranks and spoons. And if you want a " hands on" seminar on calibrating your reels come by my shop in Madison. I have a few to do. :mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts