Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Kayak fishing

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Baloogala, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Hello all...I decided to purchase a kayak last week and I am quite anxious to get it out on the creek (though I'm not stupid enough to do it now). I will be adding an extra rod holder with the help of a friend so that I can troll while paddling, but since I have never really done this before, I was curious if those who kayak a bit for fishing if they would be willing to share some tips or advice.

I will primarily be using this on BWC, mostly south of Three Creeks. When wading, if the water isn't high, the flow does not seem overpowering, so I think I'd be able to paddle both directions. That said, I have literally never kayaked before (flat bottom boat that I row...yes) and I'm curious if folks think it would be a good idea to find a fairly small and quiet lake to practice first (say, Hargus) or how they approached their first time.

Secondarily, I tend to bring too many things with me, so I'm curious how others limit their tackle they take. I'm normally a crankbait and swimbait kind of guy, though I am determined to learn some finesse this year, particularly jigs, but I don't necessarily think I need to take them all with me.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Tie a rope to the front end and be prepared to drag it over shallow riffle areas if your going to be fishing in the rivers around here. Be prepared to have to get wet.
    Baloogala likes this.

3. I use a series of the Plano Guide series tackle boxes and have them organized by targeted species and/or type of tackle. For example, one box has largemouth hooks, weights, and plastics and another has deep diving crankbaits I use for walleye, while yet another has swim baits, bobbers, and jigs that I use for Saugeye and Crappie.

A big part of kayak fishing is having a plan of action and executing that plan. You want to have your route mapped out, the structure you intend to hit, and how you intend to get a hook in front of a fish. Therefore, before you leave home, you know what tackle you need to take with you. With that said, you should also have an audible in your plan (if this doesn't work then this), which could add another box to your bag for the day.

It is important to stay organized and limit the amount of gear you have on your yak. Keeping a cleaner deck surface and knowing exactly where everything is will make you a more efficient angler.

I regularly fish big lakes, like Erie, from my kayak which is an entirely different animal than the rivers and creeks we have in our state. I have very little experience on the flows of Ohio, so I won't offer you advice in that regard.
    Saugeyefisher and Baloogala like this.
  4. Make sure the life jack is comfortable. Take your Kayak out w/o fishing equip and get the feel for it. I was very surprised when I first got into a kayak.. It all becomes second nature after awhile.
    Baloogala likes this.
  5. This is what I was figuring to do--make sure I can make it go first. I'm told it's a fun trip even without fishing and nice for the shoulders to boot.
  6. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Baloogala likes this.
  7. ML1187

ML1187 Bucks, Smallies, Flatties & Kayaks

Wear your PFD and don’t go alone on moving water until you have some experience and the water warms up. I’d advise to float with someone your first few times if at all possible. Wear your PFD!!!
    Baloogala likes this.
  8. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Baloogala, there's a bunch of a knucklheads that kayak the bwc and bdc. You can go with us anytime. Message me or Bubbagon.
    fishwendel2 and Baloogala like this.
  9. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Baloogala, there is much good paddling in the Central Ohio area. The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission has put a lot of effort into mapping and developing local access points for paddling but dangit I can't find the right search terms to look that up.

I suggest you travel a bit up to Griggs, Oshay, Delaware, Alum, and Hoover, and go poking up into the headwaters where the powerboats don't go and you're in the riffles and pools. Try scouting them before you try to fish them.

I recently put together a list of ODNR fishing maps of lakes in the Scioto watershed here:

My friend has a white canoe which we have paddled since the 1980s. We named it Beluga but he consistently mis-pronounces that as Boogala.

Go get wet.
    Baloogala likes this.
  10. I will do that, sir! Thank you so much!
  11. I do already have a PFD and have no interest in not wearing it. As the old Byrds (Bob Dylan, really?) song says "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." I realize I'm not as good as I used to be and certainly a bit wiser and won't take too many foolish chances. I want to see my kids have kids, so yeah.
  12. My name comes from a nickname that a guy I used to know in Crum, WV, gave me--Samalifagus Baloogala. I have no idea where it comes from, but it's an easy one to use for forums and whatnot.

It is my intent to make sure I know what I'm doing before I get too busy with the paddle.
  13. Dmac82

Like Dovans said get comfortable before trying to fish. Test the tipping point. You don't want to find out the hard way reaching for a fish. Definitely get some rod holders, paddle leash and one of the best things I put on mine is a anchor trolley. Always wear your pfd and do a few test runs to see how long it takes to paddle a stretch you don't want to be on the water in the dark unplanned. There is a lot but you will figure out how you like your setup
    Baloogala likes this.
  14. IKfish

Agreed with these, and remember to wear life jacket. Enjoy yourself on the water.;)
    Baloogala likes this.
  15. The theme I'm picking up is "don't overestimate yourself. Wear a life jacket." It's funny, I used to swim in the Ohio River when I was younger--my uncle had a nice boat and I used to water ski when I was a kid--and I hated it. Today, I wouldn't do it without, ever.
    MDBuckeye likes this.
  16. I did BWC on my kayak (once) and did a return on the same flow, the cfs was low and I have to say it was a challenge in some spots plus I had to drag on two area: both were narrow and semi-shallow resulting in fast flow. I would suggest if possible look for shallow areas to first attempt and get a feel for it. I was in the same situation 3 years ago, did canoe and row boats for years and then got my first kayak. Always remember that anything that is NOT attached or cannot float has the potential to fall/drop in the water (like my mobile phone couple years ago :eek: ). In the end, I prefer lakes over creeks with my kayak (nothing like Erie though, I will pass on that).
    MDBuckeye and Baloogala like this.
  17. The primary reason that I'm going to do BWC is that I live very, very close and have several places to put in--and I do pretty well down this way. I'm just thinking about taking it to Hargus or something similar to get a feel on how to paddle. I'm also fairly certain that I'll head to Kiser at one point and definitely Belmont near Morristown.

I still intend to wade, too, but looking forward to getting access to some places I haven't gotten to.
  18. I live near the Rees gauge...the flow has been somewhat horrific lately.
  19. Watch a couple of you tube videos on paddling technique. If you extend your arms forward you can use your lats and shoulders more with less fatigue than short arming it. Back paddling will turn you faster in current in my opinion. Avoid strainers at all costs. These are places where trees, logs, branches block your path but sometimes the current will try to bring you right through them. If you get trapped up against them it can become dangerous very fast. I always kept a change of clothes in a dry bag and a lighter to start a fire early in the year. Be safe!