close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new to fishing on the LMR and GMR - general advice?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by GatorB, Aug 13, 2008.

1. hey guys,

i'm new to fishing the GMR and LMR. i'm from tennessee, so most of my fishing done there was either on farm ponds or on the tennessee river. the GMR and LMR are a different ballgame for me.

what general lures and/or live bait is good for fishing the GMR and LMR? i've caught a few small saugeye on plastic grubs and even pulled in a small flathead on a jig. but usually when i go out there, i get skunked. i see people fishing with wheatie balls and nightcrawlers without much luck.

do you think live minnows would work well? what techniques do you recommend for artificial lures?

also, what types of areas on the rivers (not looking for specific areas) do you target? holes beneath rapids? mouths of backwater channels? etc..?

finally, would you recommend wading the LMR without hip waders?

2. I generally fish for smallies. You can find them close to current. Throw to the slack water side of a current break. I especially like eddies against the shore. Look for obstructions breaking the current like fallen trees, rootballs, boulders, just about anything offering an escape from the direct current. Bridge supports can also be good and you can often see current breaks around them. Sometimes you can find them in the riffles itself. Soft plastics such as tubes, flukes can shine being drifted with the current. Inline spinners, crankbaits, also spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are other options, but not so much in the riffles except for the use of buzzbaits. Wheatie balls are generally used for carp. Nightcrawlers will catch just about anything that swims. Minnows can be good for bass also. Just my 2 cents.

3. bucket full of creek chubs they catch bout anything in the river bag full of 2 to 3 inch twister tails assorted colors with 1/16 0z jig head.for the wade or float

4. Always wade if going for smallies/saugeye (in my opinion), explore the water on your own, learn it, never get frustrated. The more you fish the quicker you'll start doing well. The more you fish the quicker you'll earn the spots and the presentations. There are good fish populations all over the northern stretch of the GMR. Not just at the Troy dam. :)

I have two basic spinning setups, medium action/8lb test for casting tubes and bigger presentations when the line can take a beating. And ultra light/4 lb test for casting smaller and quicker presentations. Obviously can't take both on the water with me, I just know my spots over the years and what setup is more condusive to certain stretches.

My lure box when wading has:
    - A good collection of inline spinners.
    - A good collection of minnow type shallow running cranks
    - Rebel Craws
    - 3.5" tubes, 2/0 hooks, and various sized bullet weights that I let run free on the line above the tube.

Live bait is always a decent way to go, but is not always "easy" when trying to wade a 1/2 mile + area of the river. What I try to do is pick a stretch and move fast, cast a lot of fast presentations all over to try to find where fish may be holding. Then if applicable switch to a tube and fish right on the spot. Alwasy be willing to tie on and try different presentations during a walk on the water. Different things just work at different times.

On the water look for obvious visible or underwater structure, current lines, deeper holes (sometimes deeper is even 2 to 3 ft). This time of year the fish are for sure sitting around or in moving water.

Man, typing this has got me jacked up ..... I'm hitting the water after work.

5. thanks so much for the replies so far, guys. exactly the information I was looking for. if anyone else has anything else to add, please do.

would you say that in order to have a successful/fulfilling day on these rivers, wading is pretty much a must?

6. Bank fishing just limits your water coverage so much you know? You can only access one side of the river and only a semi-circle water coverage pattern on the side of the river you are on. Don't get me wrong, if you want to rig up some live bait, tightline, and try to get some smallies, saugeye, cats, or carp you can have a great time, catch some fish, relax .... it's all good, but that's a different type of fishing experience.

For smallies, wading is just the way to go. The first time I hooked up with SConner a couple years ago when he was new to the area I took him to a spot I like a lot we took over 50 fish, 35+ smallies. You are not gonna see that kind of action fishing from the bank. There are spots all over the GMR that can give you that kind of action if you hit it at the right times and throw the right presentations.

7. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

I wade wet this time of year,probably up until mid Oct. I generally don't wade deeper than my thighs as I've caught some big fish in shallower water but I'll go a lil deeper if I'm just crossing(or getting a snag out).Use a stick to probe ahead of your feet if the water is questionable. The gmr can be deceiving as it runs murky and sections I thought were deep turned out to be 2' once I waded them.Fish deeper areas adjacent to current and structure.
    There are seasons for different lure types. Craw season and tubes in darker/brown/olives are good then which is june -aug. Rest of the time shad or minnow imitations work well. Don't over look smaller plugs and spinners end of the summer as all the baby fish are spawned by then,spring is mostly bigger stuff. I've caught a lot of saugeyes and smallies on anything black and on the bottom,3-4", but can't go wrong w/ shad or perch finishes .TC1

8. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

all good advice, only thing i can add is i don't bother wearing waders this time of year, just blue jeans and old shoes, and make a way to keep your keys/wallet/cell phone dry.

I make the mistake of bringing too much stuff - between spinners, plugs & jigs, one of those will usually work.

One of the spots i like in the river is where it splits and rejoins - that tends to form nice sandbars that attract minnows, making a good spot to catch saugeyes and an occasional bass.

9. I'm sure that wading is definitely helpful but I have done all of my GMR fishing on the shore. I like to fish around the dams. BELOW them. Just cause the water is fast doesn't mean that they aren't there. Water is really low right now because of the lack of rain and that hurts. I have most luck on chartreuse tubes or buzzbaits. I have kayaked and waded the LMR and I find that smaller presentations work better in there because of the smaller fish. i.e. rockbass and small smallies but I have caught a few decent ones.

10. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Ive done well before bankfishing below Taylorsville Dam, there are good spots on both sides of the river. Good spots to tightline with live bait. Ive tried bankfishing below the Troy dam, at least on the west side i feel like im going to slide in the river.

Last time out i did ok on a perch colored Shad Rap and an 1/8 oz white roostertail.

11. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

All good advice - I'm am going to plug the wading idea... You lose a lot less gear and cover way more area. Fish aren't biting...walk to the next hole. I just feel it greatly increases your odds of catching fish. Nothing wrong with bank fishing, but if the hole your sitting on is empty, you won't catch anything. Also, when bank fishing you may need to share a small area with lots of people. I guess it depends on what motivates you to fish. I like to get out and walk around where it's quiet and hopefully catch a few fish along the way.

Either way - good luck:)

12. Or someone like me or SConner will come up and walk through your territory. :)

But really, when I see someone bank fishing I do get out of the water on the opposite bank and walk beyond where they are fishing.

13. I would have to agree with him. I guess I just bank fish because I haven't had anybody to get out there and really wade with. Not looking to do it alone the first time.

14. I tell you what tho' ..... long day or week at work, stressed out .... get up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday or Sunday morning, hit the water by yourself, you'll have all the water to yourself .... water is steaming, nature things are just starting to wake up .... very theraputic. Sometimes it's nice to not have to share the water. It's just you, the river, and the fish (you hope). :)

15. thanks again, everyone, for all the advice. i think i'm gonna try some wading on the LMR early tomorrow morning over in warren county. although, with the colder temperatures during the nights lately, it may be a little uncomfortable.

16. That water should still be pretty warm.

17. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Water temps are plenty warm for wet wading GMR.

18. based on your suggestions, i went out early this morning right after sunrise over on the LMR near morrow. waded downstream with no luck, then came back and fished the bridge near the canoe livery. had better luck there; caught one small saugeye and sever small smallmouths on a perch colored rooster tail and christmas lights grubs. didn't have any luck with a small rebel craw (or any plug/crankbait).

i would have liked to caught bigger fish, but it still was a great time. i'll be doing it again soon.

19. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I know that it has been stated but go to the rapids. I park at a relative stagnant pool and walk 300 yards to get to one of my favorite holes I totally ignore the water closest to the car. Downstream right below the rapids is where all the action is. If you are fishing on a sunny day, concentrate on the deeper pockets of water. As the sun begins to set, fish shallower water. This is my method of catching saugeye and smallmouths.