close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to fishing in Columbus area

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ajangsta04, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, I am a student here at Ohio State and just recently I got into fishing.

I was wondering where some of you guys go fishing in the columbus area.

I am not asking for your spots per say but which area of the pool i should be gearing towards.

i fish mostly bass and catfish however i do want to end the year with some muskie.

if anyone wants to show me some spots for both day fishing and night fishing i'd toss in a lunch.

much appreciated

2. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I'm a bank fisherman myself. I'm not really new to fishing but this is the first year I started getting serious about it and fishing independently of my father who got me started. As a result, I primarily fish spots that my father has taken me to. I mostly fish Hoover Dam, the Red Bank area. The bank is very large with a lot of room to walk around and choose spots to fish from. I too am looking for some good spots to fish (from the bank). I hope this helps. If anyone else has suggestions, I'd also like to hear them.

3. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

You can't really go wrong over at griggs below the dam. It gets tons of pressure though. Also the fish tend to be smaller, although I have pulled 4 16"+ smallies out of there this year, most tend to be quite a bit smaller.
    It has tons of good access and it does produce. I have caught all kinds of fish there, usually smallies and catfish though.

4. where do u park to get to the area below the dam?

5. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Either right down by the water or along the road to it. Its behind the police station on riverside, about 1/2mile south of fishinger. You can't miss it.

You can also try farther down towards Lane Ave, there is another entrance by some apartments there. There is tons of parking anywhere you go over there.

6. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I used to fish there down around the bridge in the evenings and catch smallies and an occasional saugeye. There are muskies pulled from there once in awhile as well. Try Antrim also, drove by today on 315 and there wasn't a soul fishing. Greenlawn dam can be good but don't go alone at night, people have had cars broken into there also so be careful.

7. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

alum is a really good lake for cats and bass. i don't do any muskie fishing my self but have seen some really nice ones that have came out of there as well. there are alot of acsess points from shore as long as you don't mind a hike. i used to fish from the bank alot so i know a few good spots. i recently got a boat so i haven't checked on those spots in a few years. pm me and we can get together and i'll take you out in the boat some time. i don't do much bass fishin but i love to cat fish. maybe we could go after some crappie in the evening and then swicth over to some cats. the bite should really start to heat up within the next few weeks.;)

8. If you're a student at Ohio State than you should just slide down to the Olentangy.
    Maybe push north of campus some.

9. sounds good fishingtechnitian.

10. one quick question...i was wondering where some of the live bait and tackle shops are.

i don't really like driving all the way to walmart or speedway to get some night crawlers.

i use pretty much all sorts of live bait.

11. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

R&R Bait on S Front St has live bait and bunch of tackle...

12. There is R&R on Front St. I can't really think of anything else close to campus. R&R is worth a stop anyhow, they have lots of cool stuff in there!!

13. Good call Perchy!!!:D

Late again!!

14. where are some places where i can go night fishing?

i enjoy catching cats at night. any parks or lakes here that offer night fishing? pay lakes would work but i'd consider paylakes as a last resort

15. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

Alum Creek, Hoover, Buckeye Lake, below Griggs and O'Shay.

all places where you can find cats as well as fish at night!

16. thanks a lot

i thought griggs closed at 11pm?

17. as long as you are fishing you can stay practically anywhere. I asked a ranger about it and as long as you are in the act of fishing, you are ok.