Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We originally wanted to have our boat on Deercreek 7 years ago but with the lake being 16' over summer levels in the spring, we moved to Buckcreek and remained there until last year when we pulled the boat out but weren't lucky enough to get a dock space at Deercreek. We finally got a slip and are now on the lake. We are catters and other than an 8' blue didn't really have a lot of luck with large cats at Buckcreek. We tried hard with different baits but always ended up with the smallies. A 3' channel at Buckcreek was LARGE for us. A couple weekends ago we were on Deercreek for the first real time fishing. One guy we met on the dock suggested trolling the beach area with a crankbait to slay the 1lb cats. We haven't made it to the beach yet due to some motor problems. We like to troll while drifting. We tried a path from the old road bed and just let the current take us down the lake almost to the marina when we'd circle back and run the path again. I was happy when the first cat we pulled out was a 3.75lber! The next fish was a 3lber and I was thinking if the average cat is 3 pounds in this lake, we're gonna have some fun. The last fish we pulled out was a 1.5'.

We primarily use shrimp since I tore up my cast net at Buckcreek trying to get shad. If we see a dead gill floating by we'll grab it and use it for bait.

Just looking to say hello and if you have any recommendations on bait or areas of the lake to fish, I'd welcome the info. We're on a blue pontoon with four poles fishing off the back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry but a 3' channel seems big to me anywhere . And if you dont consider an 8' blue big im at a loss for words :)
Maybe I should have used # instead of ' for pounds. 3 pounds is nice but I'd love to catch some bigger cats. The 8 pound blue was big, but I've heard people say there are much larger ones in the lake.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
deer creek has some big cats in it. its been years since I fished heavy for cats there but I did catch my biggest Flathead out of the spillway back in early 80s, just over 46 lb. I do know some fellas who have caught some very big channels and flatheads out of the lake. I only fish a few times a year for channels now in the lake and that's early spring before they raise the lake.

·
Certified CatDaddy
41 Posts
We originally wanted to have our boat on Deercreek 7 years ago but with the lake being 16' over summer levels in the spring, we moved to Buckcreek and remained there until last year when we pulled the boat out but weren't lucky enough to get a dock space at Deercreek. We finally got a slip and are now on the lake. We are catters and other than an 8' blue didn't really have a lot of luck with large cats at Buckcreek. We tried hard with different baits but always ended up with the smallies. A 3' channel at Buckcreek was LARGE for us. A couple weekends ago we were on Deercreek for the first real time fishing. One guy we met on the dock suggested trolling the beach area with a crankbait to slay the 1lb cats. We haven't made it to the beach yet due to some motor problems. We like to troll while drifting. We tried a path from the old road bed and just let the current take us down the lake almost to the marina when we'd circle back and run the path again. I was happy when the first cat we pulled out was a 3.75lber! The next fish was a 3lber and I was thinking if the average cat is 3 pounds in this lake, we're gonna have some fun. The last fish we pulled out was a 1.5'.

We primarily use shrimp since I tore up my cast net at Buckcreek trying to get shad. If we see a dead gill floating by we'll grab it and use it for bait.

Just looking to say hello and if you have any recommendations on bait or areas of the lake to fish, I'd welcome the info. We're on a blue pontoon with four poles fishing off the back.
Welcome aboard! My son and I are cat fisherman as well. I get a couple bluegill, cut them up into pieces. Get a nice bloody cup of chicken livers at Kroger's. Mix it all up in one container. Whatever you pull out be it chicken liver or bloody bluegill chunks Is golden!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deer creek has some big cats in it. its been years since I fished heavy for cats there but I did catch my biggest Flathead out of the spillway back in early 80s, just over 46 lb. I do know some fellas who have caught some very big channels and flatheads out of the lake. I only fish a few times a year for channels now in the lake and that's early spring before they raise the lake.
Now we're talking. I know spring is great but we can't get the boat in until may. We've only just started fishing from the boat so we'll need to learn the lake more. I know there are big cats up by the dam, but wondering is there any down by the channel South? Of the marina?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard! My son and I are cat fisherman as well. I get a couple bluegill, cut them up into pieces. Get a nice bloody cup of chicken livers at Kroger's. Mix it all up in one container. Whatever you pull out be it chicken liver or bloody bluegill chunks Is golden!
I love using live gills or cut bait fish. Haven't really had liver get me big ones though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts