close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new to carp fishing need a little help

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by bronzebackyac, Jun 30, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have never went carp fishing until the other day. My buddie moved into a condo and all of my life I have watched the lake where he now lives and I is full of huge carp. You just have to live there to fish it. Or be with someone who lives there. anyways I used canned corn on long shanked hooks with no prevail.
    1) What type of hooks should I use.
    2) What type of bait should I use so that the bluegills don't rob me every cast
    3) Should I chum the water
    4) Bobber or bottom
    Any help would be great. I just want to hook into one of these monsters. I would guess there are some over 25lbs.

2. I wouldn't give up on sweet corn just yet, but if sweet corn isn't working for you, try to use a doughbait of some sorts...wheaties cereal mixed with water and a bit of vanilla extract is good. Would say to try bread, but if the bluegills are causing trouble that probably won't help much. Are you certain that these carp are common carp, or could they possibly be grass carp?? Sometimes they can be a bit tougher to catch. Never hurts to chum...throw out a can or two of sweet corn in a likely fish holding area and fish in or near the chum. Try to use smaller types of hooks...size 6 or size 4, and I would stay away from the long shank hooks. Also, unless you see fish feeding on the surface of the water (in which case I would chum with bread and fish with bread on the surface), I would fish on the bottom rather than use a bobber. Keep the drags loose and the freespool on...

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I read about you carpers using such small hooks, but I dont know how you fit your baits on the hook. When I use wheaties I usually use a 2/0 aberdden. I just cant really see fitting a quatersize ball of wheaties on a size 6 hook. But then again, you probably use the hair rig. That stuff is almost to complicated to be fun for me.

4. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Hair rig takes all of 2 minutes to learn and do. Really not that tough. lol
    BRONZE!!! I see how you are!!!! I leave town 1 day and your talking about carpn without me!!

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I use only size #4 hooks, have caught a few carp over 30 lbs. and have not lost a fish due to hooks.....i truthfully cant see how guys use big hooks for carp..to each is own..and as the big Cheeze has said, the hair rig is as easy as tieing on a hook.

Dont give up on the corn Bronze, but if small species are giving you fits...only way to beat them is to fill them up with chum...or use big harder baits the small fish cant eat(ie, boilies, nuts, beans, peas, ect.).

Scott

6. Hair rig - how can you put corn on it? I'm loosing corn from hair rig every time I cats...

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

leckig,
    Are you using some type of "bait stop" on the end of the hair to keep the bait on it?????

see here:
    http://www.geocities.com/rrbski/hair_rig.html

I dont have any problems with corn coming off the hair and i will fish corn up to 100yrds.+ casting distance with no issues!

Scott

8. Looks like I have a lot to learn - 100yrd... I'm lucky to go 25... The corn usually flies little further :)

The bait stop - can you buy it in stores?
    Greg

9. BigChessie

All you need is the little plastic pieces that hold tags on clothes or shoes together. I'm not sure if you know what I mean but when I get off I can take a pic of one. Anything will work that is small and kinda stiff. I have even seen people use a blade of grass.

10. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Thanks for the help guys. I am not sure if they are common carp or grass carp though. They have huge scales on them. How can I tell. Can I still use these techniques if they are Grass Carp?

11. BidChessie - you mean the plastic "string"? It still sounds magical to me... I need to see this in action. Plus still, 100 yards cast for me sounds as magical as the hair rig usage.
    greg

12. BigChessie

The little plastic strings are close to what I'm talking about. The only thing diffrent is these are the ones that are shaped like a string of little balls for lack of a better term. If you want I can meet you and show you them and teach the hair rig if you have never tied one. No biggie and very easy to do.

13. Now I know what you talking about! Sure, but we should meet sometimes at Alum and do some fishing as well! I'm ready when you ready BigChessie!

14. If you go to Wacker baits web site you can buy a thing full of bait stops for less than a $1 and they will last you a little while. I have used all kinds of stuff for bait stops. The tags that Big Chessie is talking about can be bought at a craft store like a Jo-Ann fabric or Michael's. I have used pieces of straw, small pieces of twigs, anything on the bank really. You will find that some stops work alot better than others. Especially when you lose your bait or catch a fish. Many of the stops will fall off but the better ones will stay on during almost anything. With a 12' rod 100 yd casts arent that hard to attain, nothing magical really. Good Luck out there.

Jake

15. BigChessie

I been itching to get back up there for some more of those 20 plus big boys! Just waiting on AK to pick a day,lol I'd be up for this weekend if you wanna give it a try.

16. Well, if you want me in your team I'd be there. I PM'ed AK some days ago about this, no reply. Must be no love...