Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a canoe this week. I was just wondering what kind of tips you guys have for fishing out of a canoe. Im still trying to get set up so its easy to load and unload from the truck. and i plan to get a few rod holders. any other tips would be appreciated.

·
river & muskie angler, dayhiker
770 Posts
not too many tips for fishing out of canoes, don't use rod holders myself, on rivers with rods hanging off the sides can cause problems with hang ups. anchors help, but only hooked from bow or stearn, never middle.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
A seatback is a good investment. I bought mine at Gander Mountain for $12, I think. I don't have any rod holders, but I do have a hook to kind of secure my rod that I am not currently using so it stays right along the side of the canoe and doesnt slide around. My anchor is a 15' rope tied to half a brick(the kind with holes). Don't get the grappling kind. Also, when you want to secure the rope in a manner that it is simple to release. The idea is not to anchor in fast moving water. My canoe is a tandem, but only 12' so I can easily secure it in the bed of my truck with rachet straps. I tried hauling it on top of the truck once that was nearly a disaster so I don't do that anymore.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but I started last year and think I'm just getting the feel for it now. If you have a truck the extend-a-hitch rig works well for me. Just a t-bar that adds a few feet to the bed and allows me to ratchet strap it down. The book "Canoeing & Kayaking Ohio Streams" by Rick Combs and Steve Gillen has good details about access points and specific hazards. Also, do some searching on paddling technique. The j-stroke and other corrective strokes can be very helpful. I often solo a 16 ft. tandem by reversing the canoe so it's stern first and filling a 5 gallon water bag made for campers in the front to balance it out and make it ride better. I use a 5lb. free weight as an anchor but prefer to just paddle into an eddy. Finally, don't forget the saying "it's not IF you'll flip, it's WHEN you will flip." So, be prepared. Take an extra paddle so you're not up the creek without one. Small bungies are good for keeping things you don't want to lose. Have fun. Good paddlin'.

·
Registered
334 Posts
http://granitegear.com/products/overview/canoegear/canoeaccessories.html

the underseat bags, thwart bags, and bow bags are great!

For an anchor - use a sack of some sort, put rocks into it - that way your not portaging extra weight around - 90% of time I'm not anchored in canoe. Use a rope with D ring on the end for easy disconnect.
http://www.rapala.com/prostaff/proTipsDetail.cfm?page=4&protipsid=77

If your taking the boat out solo, sit in the bow of the canoe and spin around. Add some rocks to what is now the bow (actually where the back person would sit). This will ride much nicer and keep your bow down.

Pack so it's easy to get to the water. If solo I can get to the water in one trip -
- canoe on shoulders - wearing lifevest while carrying boat - backpack for tackle box, snacks, also on
- rods and paddles, inside boat, tied down (bunge) between front seat and thwart.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
NEVER...I repeat NEVER leave your tackle box open or unlatched! One quick flip could get costly! Not a bad idea to tie it to a seat bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts