Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Eman, Bowfishing is a much hated on topic on this forum lol. Not familiar with your area, but I assume portage area would have the portage river running through it? I do most of my Bowfishing on rivers and they're normally loaded with carp. Been to busy working and flathead fishing so far this summer though and haven't gotten to go out. U should see my garden!!!

·
Carp53.65
4,287 Posts
Eman, Bowfishing is a much hated on topic on this forum lol. Not familiar with your area, but I assume portage area would have the portage river running through it? I do most of my Bowfishing on rivers and they're normally loaded with carp. Been to busy working and flathead fishing so far this summer though and haven't gotten to go out. U should see my garden!!!
Totally agree about bowfishing being a hated topic on here. I do not post much about the subject on here unless people have questions.

·
swamp crawler
2,178 Posts
New-be question for the bowfishers: what do you do with the fish? The videos I've seen of bowfishing are often targeting carp and gar - not exactly known as table fare - so it left me curious what happens to the fish after it is shot.
I can't speak for everyone, but most of mine goes into bait for ****, mink, and turtle. Some gets composted for the garden.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
Why you think that is?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Why you think that is?
Because people aren't open minded and only see things one way. Legal and ethical means of fishing...... And lots of guys think that it's hurting "their" fish population. The carp are absolutely loaded in the Scioto river and I assure u it doesn't hurt the population. Maybe give it a try and then report back? Very addictive.

·
Carp53.65
4,287 Posts
Because people aren't open minded and only see things one way. Legal and ethical means of fishing...... And lots of guys think that it's hurting "their" fish population. The carp are absolutely loaded in the Scioto river and I assure u it doesn't hurt the population. Maybe give it a try and then report back? Very addictive.
Hank one of these days I am going to give you an invite to go bowfishing when the fishing is good. There is only one catch though. You have to wear a blaze orange vest the entire trip.........and NO turtles! LOL!

·
swamp crawler
2,178 Posts
Heck in some states (Kentucky is one I think) , catfish are fair game for bows. Could you imagine if someone posted a picture of a monster cat with an arrow hanging out of it on here? Lol

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Just so y'all know ...in most states cats are fair game and people don't bat a eye . These are from Louisiana where it's not uncommon to see 50-70 lb blues ... although I never have .
They eat blue crabs and shrimp in the brackish water and even the big ones are good eating

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.