close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to Bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Hello anglers. I'm new to the board and new to bass fishing. In a previous thread, I explained in so many words, that I'm not new to fishing in general, but this year I caught the bug. Started buying my own equipment and everything. But I digress. I've been trolling this board for a few days and you guys all seem like a bunch knowledgeable and courteous gents and ladies so I hope you'll at first forgive my naivety and then be courteous enough with some helpful answers. So here it goes: What's the proper way to fish a plastic worm? I recently went to Hoover Dam and tried to employ some techniques I researched. I tried a Berkeley Gulp 7" Turtleback worm watermelon, carolina rigged. I made far casts with a slow retrieve with a few rod pops here and there. I couldn't actually tell if my lure was hitting the bottom or if my bait was getting struck. One of buddies said if a bass does hit it, there'll be no mistake. I'll know it. I'm not so sure. In any case, no luck at all. Was it my technique, my gear, or my location? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

2. fishing worms is similiar to fishing tubes for bass, one u gotta get used to feeling out the structure on the bottom, distinguish between rocks, trees, etc... once u get that down ull feel the fish for sure, usually its a tap tap really quick and pay attention to ur line if it starts tightening or going left or right uve got one on, hope this helps others probally will have some insight and helpful tips as well.

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I'm not real familiar with Hoover, but I know that the places where I'm fishing now I can ONLY catch fish on worms in the shade. I use Zoom Finesse Worms rigged weedless with a very small split shot about 6" up the line. I cast, let it fall, set a few seconds, jerk, repeat until back to shore.

Lately, I've only been catching good Bass on Spinnerbaits(Strike King, Booyah, and Terminator 3/8 and 1/2 oz), Mepps Rooster tails(#3), and my Arbogast Jitterbug. Also just started using Vibes made by Rod Benders. They seem to work well also. Heddon makes a similar lure, but the name is not coming to me.

If you're looking for a good article for summer bassing.... I am pretty sure I saw some on the Bassin Magazine website that were pretty helpful.

Good Luck out there,
    Jason

4. I do 75% of my fishing with rubber lures it sounds like you have a good grasp on the idea, slow retrieve. I like to let my worm settle on the bottom and give it a 5-10 sec count before I move it again. I guess my idea in doing so is to give the bass a chance to look at it for a second or two or they may just pick it up from where it's at, but most times they will strike it when I move it again. Don't give up on using rubber worms I did that a few years ago, and a year or so ago started using them almost exclusively and my #'s increased.

Welcome to the forums!

5. Columbusslim31

Thanks a lot fellas. I appreciate the tips. :)

6. Consider trading in the traditional worm for a 5-7" Senko.
    Rig up a circle hook on some braided line and a stout rod.
    Hook the bait right in the middle, wacky rig, (if you hold the line and let the lure dangle, the two ends of the Senko should be bouncing on either side of teh hook.
    Throw it into fishy places and only give it an occasional twitch. And don't set the hook, just start reeling when you feel the thump, thump.
    It'll get you catching decent fish easier than just about any other method.

7. Columbusslim31

8. I dedicated most of my fishing this year to soft baits, because I had zero confidence in it. After a season of soft baits, I can tell you it's worth the work. I have been successful with jigs on everything from rock bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, saugeye, pike, to channel and flathead catfish.

I have had great luck with 3" gulp minnows.

Best advice I have is start doing it.