Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a big time catfish and blue gill fisher, but now I have found myself spending hours and hours going bass fishin. I have been going to AEP, Seneca, Salt Fork, and about any local ponds or resevours that I'm allowed in. I haven't been having the best success, I guess I could use some overall advice, as fas what time of day, what time of year, what to use and how to use it, and if any one is familar with any of the spots I've mentioned fill me in please. I just love landing a bass and would like to get better since I don't know much, Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
i would start out in the ponds you mentioned. the size of the water lets you spend more time on fish as opposed to big water where you spend a lot of time just finding them. in ponds my go to bait is a single blade spinner bait with a white skirt. no reasoning behind that, just what i used when i was growing up and it worked. i also like soft jerk baits in shad colors as well as worms around six inches with curly tails rig with no weight or texas style. my new favorite is a finese worm rigged wacky style. they take a bit more "finese" as their name implies, but are deadly. if you go to the larger lakes, i would concentrate on exposed structure like treetops and stumps. bass cant help but hang around them. though right now it may be touch and go because of the spawn so dont get too discouraged. one last thing, if you have someone you can go with to show you some things...there is no better way to learn. hope this helps. not to insult your skills, but if you need more specifics on rigs dont hesitate to ask.

·
806 Posts
If you are fishing soft plastics keep it simple in your color selection. Green pumpkin, pumpkin, watermellon with red flake, and black will get the job done. Bass love to ambush so look for spots that they might be hiding waiting for unsuspecting lunch to swim by. Shaded areas, logs, the mudline in the water, and current breaks are just a few. If it's cloudy, windy, or raining they will be moving around more so use faster moving baits like spinners, and cranks. Have fun. Bass fishing is addictive!

·
Bassin' Buckeye
806 Posts
If you're just lookin to get into some smaller sized Bass (8-15") then I would get some curly tailed grubs in White or Yellow and rig them on a 1/4 or 1/2 oz jib head in whatever color you want. I use Orange heads.

Lately, I've been catching some quality Bass on Zoom Finesse worms in a Red w/ Black flake color. I Texas rig them with a 1/8-1/4 oz spit shot about 6-8" in front of the bait. This creates more of a diving effect that I guess they're in to.

As far as places to go are concerned,..... I would really stick to Ponds and AEP. You really can't to wrong with AEP.

Good Luck out there. By the way, you found a great site. These guys have helped me a whole lot, so any information you're looking for can be found here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You might also want to try a 5" Senko rigged weightless. Just cast it out and let it drop on slack line. Let it sit for a minute or two or ten and rip it up and let it fall back down again. Keep and eye on the line for anything unusual.

I also have been having decent succes with a zoom fluke soft jerkbait. same kinda deal, rig weightless cast it out. Don't let it sink all the way, sweep the rod up (not necessarily a jerk) and let it settle back down. Repeat!

Bass are fun so be careful, it's an addiction!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
join a local bass club. most of the time it dosn't even matter if you have a boat you team up with members that have boats , see a lot of different methods. and learn the local lakes. best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys very much! and trust me no one insulted my intelligence i'll take any help i can get because i am already addicted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts