New Symrna Beach/Mosquito Lagoon area

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by mikeschmidt, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Well, I am back now from my week at NSB. I had a blast and ate more seafood than anyone living in the north deserves to eat. The weather was truly great nearly the entire time I was down there, albeit a tad windy on a few days, but it was nothing a little Yuengling could not cure ;) I did a little wade fishing on my own, both on the ocean side and the lagoon side and got in to some fish in both. I also had the pleasure of fishing with Captain Chris Meyers, though I feel I may have taken a few years off both of our lives thanks to the incredible frustration :rolleyes: I had one partial day of wind with him and then a full day of as perfect as it can get, unfortunately I was struck with the most unbelievable case of fish fever I have ever dealt with and combined that with the fact that I was completely unprepared with the speed and accuracy of casting necessary to have a chance to hook up. Chris had me on fish the whole time I was out and I was simply unable to hold up my end of the deal and make him lok as good as he truly was. I am already in the preliminary stages of planning next years trip down and will certainly be utilizing Chris if he is up to takin me back out :lol: I will say that it was entirely humbling as an experience and I will be practicing on camera the technicques Chris taught me in the nastiest wind I can get hewre in Ohio to make sure I am somewhat more prepared to give myself a chance next time.

Anyway, here are some shots from the trip. The first morning there I jumped out on the ocean side of the Canaveral Shores despite the wind and tossed a fly around in the morning. I was really just whipping it around a little since nothing was cught, though I did not feel too bad since none of the other couple dozen rods out with bait did any better.
    [​IMG]

The next day I hit the lagoon side since it was a little more calm and did get in to some speckled trout and a toad fish. None of the trout were of any real size, but a blast on a 5 weight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the Black Drum I caught with Chris on the full day out
    [​IMG]

2. I went out to Ponce Inlet to chuck a fly around on one afternoon and caught some fish and a few rays. Well...I suppose since the rays didn't technically 'eat' the fly it was more like accidentally 'catching' salmon on a Michigan spider....but it was totally unintentional and was really neat to see them up close. The second was more than a few feet across and it was all I could do to get it in on an 8 weight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the way back to the parking lot I had a run in with one of the hundreds of trtises that live there, it was pretty neat.
    [​IMG]

The last morning on the way out this was the view that will get me back...
    [​IMG]

3. CaptNate

CaptNate Pro Angler and Guide

You missed a heck of a week on the tarpon...
    They (30-60lb'rs) absolutely went nuts this week.
    We jumped 10, landed 4.

Glad you had a good time.

When you were up at Ponce did you see any tarpon? I had a couple friends jump some 100lb fish in the channel up there.

4. I did not see any, though I was right out close to the opening and on shore, so I could not really see too much. I did hear the poons were on from people at the establishments like Peanuts I hit to watch the Wings games. I missed posting one other pic...did get in to quite a few Pompano right in front of the condo the two mornings I stayed put...

[​IMG]