new steering

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, May 24, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

the steering in my boat has some play in it and i want to replace it. i have found several retailers who sell the one which is currently installed from the factory. its the tele-flex rack & pinion. i would like to order the same one, have it delivered so i can rip out the old one and install the new one on the same day. is there a web site where i can find specs of factory installed equiptment? i plan on installing hydraulic sometime in the future but until i can come up with the $1000.00 ill just replace this one. its a 1996 bayliner trophy 1802. i checked the bayliner web site and got nothing. i guess i could measure how they say you should but id really like to get the exact one thats already in there. no guessing. thanks for an replys

2. cw261

cw261 Member

3. Ez
    There should be some numbers on the steering cable The last 2 numbers denotes the length of the cable, the first numbers are the model.

4. ezbite

i just looked at both ends and didnt see anything. which end will the numbers be on? will the numbers be printed on or engraved into the plastic? thanks:eek:

5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Try calling Bayliner give them the model or serial number for your boat and they should know right off the bat which system it includes. I would try hitting ebay and you might be able to find a hydraulic system used or for a good deal. why do it twice?

Did you check for why there might be play in your system, maybe something is just loose, or do you think there just beat up and old?

6. I dont think the cable is your problem usually when they go bad it tightens up the steering real bad. I would make sure all the nuts & bolts are tight. Sometimes they are engraved or they are stamped on.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

7. tomb

tomb Tom B.

When my cables went bad last fall it took two hands and a lot of muscle to steer.

8. ezbite

i thought that the outboard might have been the problem, but i grease it religously. i unhooked it from the steering cable and could move it side to side with 2 fingers. its not the motor. while it was unhooked i tried the steering and it was still very hard to turn. there was slop in the wheel, about an 1/8 of a turn. everything else is tight. i did back off the nut that holds on the cable cover to the motor and it loosen up a little bit. so the cable cover might be twisted down on the cable. but i think im due for replacement system.

Kgone i did look at ebay..there still pretty steep. i already dropped lots of cabbage on the trailer hubs/brakes/bearings, boat dash gauges, fuel pump, water pump, smarttabs, 2 new batterys. so $200.00 is much more affordable than $800.00 to a $1000.00 if i want gas for fishing:) but i hear what your saying about doing it twice.

9. ezbite

said to hell with it and pulled(or tried to)it out this morning. the size is printer on the side of the plastic cover. 16 footer. i cant get the nut that attaches to the outboard all the way thru the inside if the hull/helm area. theres some kind of boot i can feel in there. everything passes thru it (all wires)and its only about an inch in diameter. looks like im going to need to cut some kind of access hole in the side of the helm area below the throttle. any ideas on what to cover it with when im done? i could probably order some type of hatch. dont need anything too big. thanks. this is turning out to be a MUCH bigger job than i first thought:mad:

10. tomb

tomb Tom B.

EZ, I have no way of knowing your exact mechanical skills, but you may want to seriously consider having it professionally replaced. We have very similar boats. Mine is a 2002 1902 Trophy C.C. Feel somewhat lucky, look how much older your boat is. Now that you've given more detail I'm positive your cable is bad. Your symptoms match mine exactly from this past fall. The job ran me $1100 from D&D Marine in Aurora. In order to remove the old cable/rack (which is one assembly) they cut it into pieces where accessible and pulled them out. To install the new one the outboard has to be removed to allow room for the cable to come out of the hole. I'm not sure why you feel you need to cut a hole in your helm, they didn't do that to mine. Also I considered the hydraulic steering option seriously after getting the estimates. What it came down too was that I no longer plan on taking the boat to the Outer Banks anymore----the extra gas cost is murder. The salt exposure is what killed my cable so soon. D&D told me a cable should last at least 10 years at the minimum. The cost for hydraulic changeover was around $2500. My new cable has a No-Feedback rack, which has a nice feel to it. If I ever purchase a new boat again I will get the hydraulic steering option, but it just didn't seem like a good idea to change this boat over now with such a huge price difference.

11. ezbite

thanks tomb. i think ill cut off the nut end of the old one and then pull it out. im sure it will slip right out then. i can guide the new end down thru the boot by hand and then pull it aft. i was able to get the outboard end of the old one up thru everything without messing with the outboard position, i just cant get it to pop up thru the boot. i had to remove the oil tank and cable boot to do this. see this is why i stopped when i hit this problem.. its because i knew someone would have some good advise. :) thanks

12. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Cool, it's great you can do the job yourself. I was afraid of screwing it up and stranding myself on the lake. Also I overstated the job price. $1100 included new throttle cables as well.

13. ezbite

just paid for a complete hydraulic system i found on ebay for $500.00 i thought about what kgone said about doing it twice and it made more sense the longer i thought about it. i want hydraulic steering so, what the hell. now im just going to need to be sure i install it correctly. can't be too hard because it's only a helm/pump, hoses and steering cylinder. i think that the hose connections will be the most important part of the installiation. has anyone ever installed hydraulic steering in place of cable??? how did the change over go??? thanks

thanks kgone.. your right, why do it twice?

14. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Considering that you don't have to pay the labor cost, going hydraulic now makes total sense for you. Your making me second guess the way I went. Good luck, hope the job goes smoothly for you.

15. ezbite

thanks, we'll see how it goes:D