Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
It swims its bait
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i talked to my boss today and he said that there is a new state record bluecat and that it was over 90 pounds. anyone hear about it yet or have pics?

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
News to me, would love to hear it was true. My moneys on some dude, who caught a 90lber at a paylake, told the guys at work, next time ya know someones talking about a state record through hearsay :D

Keep us updated if you hear anything else.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
Very nice fish. Shame though that you have to kill them for the record, that fish is probably pretty old and there are not many like that.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Holy cow. Downtown area.... Wow.

·
738 Posts
Good for him. I knew the record from last year wouldnt hold out for long.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I would love to know more details of this. If anyone sees more articles, post them. Hopefully there are some better pics of the fish.

Man, the backdrops of the new state record fish caught from a boat near downtown Cincy are countless.

·
Registered
500 Posts
From our local radio station -
CINCINNATI (AP) — Two southern Ohio fishermen say they've landed a state-record sized blue catfish, and they have videotape to prove it.

Chris Rolph of Williamsburg hooked into the 96-pound blue cat Wednesday night while fishing with buddy Jon Owens near Cincinnati. The next day, they got WKRC-TV to videotape them holding the fish and releasing it into a private pond near their homes.

Rolph has started the certification process with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife, which lists the Ohio record for a blue catfish as a 57.2 pounder caught in June 2008 in the Ohio River.

Division fish biologist Debbie Walters said Friday that records for this species have been recognized for about a year in Ohio, and that blue catfish can exceed 100 pounds.

·
It swims its bait
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hopefully that fish finds its way back to the river, but unfortunately it probaly didnt make it through the weighing process

·
Registered
500 Posts
According to the story I posted it did survive, but it isn't in the river.
The next day, they got WKRC-TV to videotape them holding the fish and releasing it into a private pond near their homes.

·
Registered
526 Posts
For some reason I always thought the blue catfish was a threatened species in Ohio. Was it ever?

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
They were considered threatened before Jan 1, 2008.

I love this quote from another story:

"It will replace the first ever state record blue catfish certified in 2008 of 57 pounds 3.2 ounces. "

I think its pretty safe to say that it did a little more than replace that record!! What a BEAST!!!

·
It swims its bait
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to the story I posted it did survive, but it isn't in the river.
has it gone through the state scales and everything yet? just because they weighed it and put it in a pond doesnt mean its in the clear catching a fish that big puts a extreme amount of stress on the fish

·
1,319 Posts
I sure hope that fish survived, and hopefully if they can catch it again the ODNR will take some DNA samples to study it. A fish like that could be equated to Andre the giant from a genetics standpoint. It's just a little bit of a shame that it's out of the river system now and it won't be making other big 96 lbers in the future. Still a great fish though, what a monster.

·
The one others want to be
2,235 Posts
But Ky and Ohio did a survey a while back and moved them to the "species of concern" list, opening them up to game fishing status. I was thinking the same thing but read the Ohio DNR page regarding them and now we know. Nice catch! I think I had that fish on last weekend be it broke my Zebco 202. LOL

UFM82

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
Isnt it illegal to take a gamefish and move it to another body of water if its not being used as bait? I always get confused with the rules on it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow that is a monster! too bad they have to kill it i agree..

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Isnt it illegal to take a gamefish and move it to another body of water if its not being used as bait? I always get confused with the rules on it.
only if its going back into another public waterway. they released into a private pond.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ok, I am suprised no one has brought this up but it does seem a bit odd that the fish doesnt have any marks on it at all, ( strange for a river fish in Post spawn conditions) also read somewhere in the many articles I read online that he said he caught like 500 lbs of blues that night and like 10 over 20 lbs all from the same spot??? Isnt it odd since Blues do not gang up in holes this time of year?? I thought it was only in the winter that they tolerate each other in the same holes as most predators are, only willing to have other competition around when fish are not aggressive?? He said it was taken from a 65 ft hole and there are only 2 I know of in the whole stretch from Tanners up to Meldahl (I am sure there are a few more but not many) so that narrows it down. Also, seems odd that no one for the last month has hardly taken any blues and no one has taken any from the really deep holes in the river ( > 50 ft) Just my thought on this and if its legit, great!! that just means less folks killing a 55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90 or 95 lb fish since it wouldnt be a record anyways, I might add that a guy I work with is the "king of payponds" and has told me the last 2 weeks the blues have been on fire there.

To bad Ohio doesnt institute a "Lie detector" policy for potential state records like a lot of other states do. The video BTW is him with the fish on the ground, heck that doesnt prove anything. I need to see some pictures on the boat and trust me, anyone who has a livewell big enough to hold a 100 lb blue certainly has a camera/phone on board.

Another point is after he caught it and had it weighed 40 minutes from the river, he then called DNR in Xenia to have the guy drive down there so that was another 1.5-2 hrs I imagine. Once it was all said and done, I would have loved to have seen it make its way back to the river as we all know the stress on a big fish will be high and all the handling, after all its not easy to hold a 100 lb anything without hurting it. If it lives, It will take a fish that size only weeks to eat everthing in a pond and then slowly starve to death. I imagine a fish that size can eat at least 10 lbs of fish a day and a good 1 acre pond may only have 200 - 300 lbs of fish in it.

Just some random thoughts here, and hope for this guys sake its all legit!! a Great catch in anyones book and yeah, Im a bit jealous....;)

Salmonid

1 - 20 of 43 Posts