close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new spools?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by hardwaterfan, Sep 22, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

hey guys, i need some advice.

i need 2 new spools. the reels say "Galyans Performance 8003". since Galyans is out of business....hmmmm.,..

i need 2 new spools for these reels, and i dont want the original spools because they had some gold coating on them which is peeling off and its cutting up my line. i wont ever make that mistake again.

are the best spools solid aluminum or some kind of alloy? what would you guys/gals do in my position, these reels are only 2 years old and werent cheap (by my standards.)

i wouldnt mind at all buying some nice new spools for them because i really like the combos other than the spools.

i have completely lost confidence in these spools and wont fish with them.

2. I don't know about new spools but are the old spools aluminum? The reason I was asking is maybe the coating could be stripped off with some sort of thinner or solvent. It would be a waste of time if they were plastic, a lot of that stuff melts plastic. Just a thought.

3. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i should posts a small pic, but its weird, the whole spool looks like polished metal (like silver), except for at the top lip where your line sits, is gold, and its chipping off, and underneath looks like unfinished (rough) metal, what a poor design. its chipping in a place where as you cast, your line passes over the chipped areas and catches a bit. it has gotten worse since the last thread i made about the fireline.

4. If it is metal, just grab a dremel with a wire brush attachment and clean all that gold junk off. The brush will polish it up in no time at all. If you need to do anything more, you could us some extremely fine sandpaper to take any small burrs off of it. Just make sure to take the spool off first and clean everything and re-grease it when you are done.

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

The coating is probably titanium nitride (TiN) that did not bond to the aluminum very well. TiN is very hard, it is used on drill bits, end mills, etc. It is applied in a physical vapor deposition (PVD) vaccum chamber, kind of like plating but not in a wet bath. No solvent in the world will take it off.