close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New species for me

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bluegillin', Sep 23, 2017.

1. Today I had planned to fish with my dad for some crappie and bluegill and thus made a trip to his house last night to get an early start this morning. However, on my way to his house last night, I decide last minute to swing by a river to a spot I fished many years ago for saugeye. Given this was a spur of the moment decision, I admittedly was not well prepared. With the exception of a flashlight, I have no light and I have no net. Within minutes of arriving, I hear a few fish jumping so I am anxious to get fishing. On my fifth cast with a roadrunner head and Big Joshy perch, I feel the tap of a fish. Hook set and it is on. This fish is going crazy and as I get it close to the bank, I get out my flashlight as I am totally in the dark. Fish is splashing everywhere and pulling hard. I catch a glimpse, and I am thinking wow, it must be a nice saugeye as I can tell by the body shape that it is not a bass and the pull is not one of a catfish. I finally get the fish to the bank, look down and am quite surprised as to what is before me. While a bit disappointed to see that it was not a big saugeye, I was excited to see that I had caught my first ever bowfin. Kind of cool to catch a species that you have never caught even though it is probably considered a trash fish. Call it what you will but still a strange and cool fish. I guess fishing is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

2. awesome! I have ever caught one bowfin and it was up in northeast ohio. Would not mind figuring out where to target some. they are brawlers. Thought I had a monster largemouth at first, turned out to be a 4ish lb bowfin.