New Smoker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Perchy101, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I just got a new smoker yesterday for Christmas.

I'm going to go pick up some wood today - and maybe some cole... but what else do I need?

2. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

check out the recipie forum, they got some killer stuff in there for good old down home good eats

3. what kind did ya get? cole? cole-slaw or ya mean charcoal? :)

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

get some chunks of hickory and a big pork roast....or some ribs

be sure to soak the wood chips for a good hour before starting.

5. I'm all for smoking fish. Check out this Fact Sheet published by my office. The linked document is a little bit dated and only addresses dry smokers. Wet smokers have recently proliferated because of their more rapid cooking times and relative portability. Since wet smokers couple both steam and heat in the cooking process, they cook fillets in as little as 1.5-4.0 hours depending on size. Whole, gutted fish will take a bit longer. The downside is that the smoked flavor isn't as strong as in dry smoke. Is yours a dry or wet smoker, Perchy?

Of course, proper brining is important. There are plenty of good recipes out there. They all involve non-iodized salt and most involve sweeteners and spices for flavor. I tend to use only ca. 1/4 cup sweetener per 10 cups liquid; my favorites are maple syrup (the real stuff, NOT maple-flavored corn syrup), honey, or brown sugar. For spices, I like fresh-cracked black pepper as well as anything, but cayenne flakes can be good to. Dabble to suit your own tastes. It might take a little experimentation to find what works for you.

Fish is yummy smoked with mild, sweeter woods too. Again, consider dabbling in fruitwoods (like cherry or apple) or maple. I've heard sassafras is also very sweet, but I haven't managed to try it myself. In lieu of prepared dry wood chips/chunks/pellets soaked in water, you can also use green wood collected from the field in many smokers. Never use conifers, like pine.