close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bigfishtommy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Anyone out there run into a problem with an old boat not having 12 digits in the serial number of their boat when purchasing an old boat from a private owner? I just talked to a local title agency and the clerk there said to make sure the boat I am buying has 12 digits in serial number - she said if it doesnt that I may have to call somewhere to have a new serial number and plate mailed to me and she also said someone may want to inspect it!

Does any of this sound true or has anyone experienced this? If so, please let me know what I may be getting into here. Thanks.

Tom

2. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

It is a true statement but really not a big deal to take care of. I went to ODNR and they made the new serial number plate and did the research off the old title and serial number. Then I took that to the title bureau and got the title. Then back to the ODNR for the sticker. Just an extra couple steps but not time consuming!

Gene

3. Is the ODNR open on weekends? I only ask because the boat I am buying is out of town and I can only get there on Saturdays. Thanks.

Tom

4. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Not sure on that....seems to me I had to take off of work and do it because they were NOT open on weekends.

Gene

5. About how much does it cost annually for boat trailer tags for a very small light weight jon boat trailer? I can't find the fee chart for the weights on the ohiobmv webpage.
    Thanks
    Jason

6. I believe my ran somewhere around $30 on my trailer for a 16' boat. I could be off a bit though because I buy the tags along with my other vehicle tags and the total damage is much higher than that.

7. I called div of watercraft and the guy there was very helpful and gave me a lot of info. He also said they are not open on Saturdays. Phone is 330-644-2265 for akron area Div of Watercraft office if you need questions answered.

Tom