New River, VA

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Rooster, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I will be fishing 27 miles (Whitethorne to Bluff City) of the New River over 4 days/ 3 nights starting Thursday. The weather looks BAD, but it is too late to turn back now. Any tips for BIG New River smallies?

2. Do you have the book "New River Guide" by bruce Ingram ? Detailed Info, if not let me know and I'll fill you in.

3. Wow, I just looked it up, looks like a wild ride and some good fishing. Got some details.

4. LOL, I've read the chapters about the section that we will be fishing about 20 times in the last few days....good book!

5. I did a 4 hr float trip on the New River in West Virginia earlier this year. My wife and I caught around 40 smallies in that time with the biggest being around 5 lbs. I was using an 1/8 oz chartruse jig head with a 3 in pumpkinseed tail. Cast slightly upstream and let it bounce downriver while keeping your line tight. You'll nail em. In deeper water we used shad raps and Heddon torpedo prop baits. You'll have a great time and post the results if you get the chance.

6. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Sounds like a great time and a good adventure..I don't have any firsthand knowledge but just wanted to wish you good luck on what sounds like a great trip in the making.

7. a good website to go to for first hand fishing accounts is riversmallies.com. There are a slew of posters that have the New River as their home waters.