Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
I always search the net FIRST,, just to see what's out there.

I don't know what kind of 'ground' your mowing?

My SIL was given a Simplicity Legacy XL, SUB-compact,,,,, I've pulled him out of the wet spots 3 or 4 times. Belly deck will not pick up high enough,,, ground clearance too low. Roll-over mower deck is very hard/ tricky for him to take on & off.
Positive thoughts,,,,,,, it's built like a tank & he really likes & uses the front end loader for landscaping & tree cutting.

Zero turns,,,, his neighbor has one. It gets stuck just as much, & it's very hard to steer & uncomfortable to use on the sides of slopes & hills,,,, BUT it is very fast,,,,, specially cutting after everything dries out.

I cut almost 2 acres,, 1 acre of wet bottom-land. Around dozens of trees, fences & a short 3 to 1 slope,,, & I do all of my own maintenance. So a garden size lawn mower is the only way for me to go.
My almost 20yo 19hp Craftsman was built back when they were somewhat built good. (+ 3 decks, 5 spindles & many idler pulleys, but it still runs like a champ,,,, FYI,,, it was $1800 year-end sale. lol,, top that. ;>)

Here's where I'm searching, for MY next upgrade, tractor mower,,, some NEW compact tractor/ mower lines;

2020 BOBCAT ZT2000 For Sale In Miles City, Montana | TractorHouse.com

Massey Ferguson | GC1700 Series Sub-Compact Tractor
I bought a new Massey Ferguson 36HP 4WD (1735 M) tractor in 2019 and it is an absolute working beast, I love it. Shuttle drive, 12 gears and a front end loader. I settled on it over JD because it was 800 lbs heavier than the comparable JD tractor and $2,000.00 cheaper. If their mowers are similar I would bet they're good. I have done everything from work ground, log, mow and move dirt with this thing and not a single hiccup. Sometimes dealers have demos or last years models they'll sell cheaper. Don't get the eco fuel model (model E i think) they are a pain with the recycling fuel system.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
This Thread has Jinxed me.. Went out to use my Gravely and was ab le to get thirty feet before the belt went that turns the hydraulics... Dead in the water. Dag gone.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Man don’t talk bad about those Gravelys. Father in law owned a Gravely dealership for almost 35 years. I have restored and sold several 12 and two 18 hp ones.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Man don’t talk bad about those Gravelys. Father in law owned a Gravely dealership for almost 35 years. I have restored and sold several 12 and two 18 hp ones.
I grew up with a Gravely. It kept on working even when it shouldnt have. Had a rotary plow attachment as well. What a BEAST that thing was. Can still remember my Dad tellling me, son, thats a real engine no damn lawn mower engine..

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
This Thread has Jinxed me.. Went out to use my Gravely and was ab le to get thirty feet before the belt went that turns the hydraulics... Dead in the water. Dag gone.
Belts need inspected just like everything else...................or expect them to break when you don't expect them to break.
I will go replace mine tomorrow just because i commented on this or mine would have lasted another 50nyears lol

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
SO i,ve found the mower 2021 john deere X390 54inch deck power everything. great reviews, put my wife in the seat and she likes it. p.s JD has real power steering CC has a electric gear box that helps steering , CC lot more bucks less mower looked them over real good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
SO i,ve found the mower 2021 john deere X390 54inch deck power everything. great reviews, put my wife in the seat and she likes it. p.s JD has real power steering CC has a electric gear box that helps steering , CC lot more bucks less mower looked them over real good.
Very nice ...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Just make sure it has bags.... it will make the spring and fall much easier on you. And it will get out fishing faster

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,422 Posts
I bought a cub cadet 50” last year, love it, it also cut my time way down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kubota if you can swing it, sips diesel, trouble free and holds its value well (if 3 point/bx etc). If the wife is willing, have her test drive a Toro zero turn MyRide 54” about 4k, she may be surprised and like it.

·
Premium Member
10,880 Posts
I was faced with what mover to purchase 14years ago when we moved into our current home. 5+ acres lots of trees, some slope, and a pond. I ended up purchasing a Hustler Super Z 60' deck. It was costly but my plan worked, it still runs like the day I purchased it. I couldn't imagine not mowing my property on anything but a zero turn. I put on the radio earmuffs and have 3 hrs of uninterrupted peace. And just for the record, I only partially put in the pond one time. That was last year when I finally got the chance to kill a large water snake I had been trying to kill for a few weeks while mowing. For some reason he was out in the grass and racing towards the pond. I caught up with him with the mower on a slight downslope to the pond and got him but then couldn't stop and slid sideways partially into the pond. A stump on the edge stopped the mover from going all the way in but it launched me well out into the pond. I had call in a large tow truck with a boom lift to get it out. How much does it cost to kill a snake? $183.00 for the tow truck:rolleyes:

·
Registered
813 Posts
yeah, zero turns don't do well on much of a slope. The heavy commercial ones will do better, but most consumer models are dangerous on much grade

·
Premium Member
10,880 Posts
Mine is the commercial model, Is does really well, better than a rider, on slopes due the very low center of gravity. The problem is when you are moving 20 mph down hill and try to stop it will slide on the grass. I paid over twice what I could have purchased a consumer grade unit. I knew the longevity would be much increased and it has been. I have almost 1800 hrs and 3200 acres mowed to date.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 20+ year old Kubota G5200 garden tractor and it still runs great. 3 cyl diesel. Have a B compact with a bucket and backhoe it runs great too. I've never heard anyone say I wish I wouldn't have bought a Kubota. There's probably someone though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
How things are made is one thing. How things are taken care of is another. In 2004 I, bought a 23 horse tractor from Tractor Supply. It runs just like the day I bought it. I, do all the maintance and take care of every thing on it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
ok ,wife says buy a new or like new , mower must have power steering, 50inch or bigger deck gas or diesel,[I like diesel] rider no stand ups or zero turns whats the best brand . would consider a good used unit. ,
How many acers you mowing.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts