Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ,wife says buy a new or like new , mower must have power steering, 50inch or bigger deck gas or diesel,[I like diesel] rider no stand ups or zero turns whats the best brand . would consider a good used unit. ,

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
ok ,wife says buy a new or like new , mower must have power steering, 50inch or bigger deck gas or diesel,[I like diesel] rider no stand ups or zero turns whats the best brand . would consider a good used unit. ,
I have a Simplicity that is 18 years old and still works fine. I bought a new Cub Cadet last year and cut my mowing time by 35 minutes - from 1 1/2 hrs to just under 1 hour. Zero turn is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I know... no zero turn..however. I went from a rider (Cub Cadet 3000GT series-JUNK) to a Gravely 60 inch zero turn.. Wow. Quick, Comfy, fast, low maintenance, what else can I say. Had for 8 or 9 years maybe longer... I dont recall when I bought it now. Has a hitch so i can pull a trailer.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I understand zero turns are NOT for those who have either sciatic nerve pain or back pain (compressed disks). Just a thought

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep tried the husky with spring suspension. Bounced hard and my back pain, hip and sciatic told me so for days. My vote for husky/simplicity rider

I understand zero turns are NOT for those who have either sciatic nerve pain or back pain (compressed disks). Just a thought

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Why not a zero turn? They are way faster and easier to operate. I have arthritis in my lower back. The suspension on Ferris mowers smooths out the ride quite a bit.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Kubota has zero interest right now. John deere might also. Lots of the big tractor places are offering zero interest. I know the link below is a zero turn but I'm sure if you call around someone will sell you a garden tractor with zero interest. I'm in the same boat. I want a garden tractor over a zero turn as well. With zero apr I was thinking about just getting a subcompact with a belly mower but I think it's to heavy for my yard in the spring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Putting it up in the classified section is not a bad idea

·
Registered
909 Posts
A lot of the smaller riders are made by MTD, they put different Sheetmetal and paint different colors and put there name on it but have the same drive train and mower deck.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,419 Posts
I mow 3-4 acre I have a F2400 Kubota front mower the 24hp diesel keeps on running not for everyone. The F2400 is steered from the rear the mower will go under split rail fence suits me very $$$$$$

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I use a smaller John Deere (just a riding mower) but it has a tight turning angle on the front axle which is a great feature. The Kubota lawn tractors have my attention when it's time for a replacement. They appear to be well made & engineered for durability. My mom's husband has a Ferris & it is an excellent zero turn mower built to commercial standards. Could you possibly get your wife to test drive one of them ? The suspension system works quite well & she might reconsider the whole Z/T issue. Mike

·
Registered
814 Posts
I second the comment of going to a regular dealer. Almost all the manufacturers make cheaper models and regular built to last models. I would go with John deere x series, kubota, simplicity or any of the one whom make commercial grade. You can't buy quality cheap, so if you want a mower to last you need to spend the money. I had a JD 245 Gt for 27 years. Two years ago I finally gave up on it and bought a JD 570X series and so far it's great. I paid $5,4000 for it, but if it last 20 years that's cheap. I originally paid 4200.00 for the 245GT, divide that by 27 years and it's $155.00 a year plus maintenance. You can buy a cheaper one for 2,000.00 and replace it in 3-5 yrs and you've spent more in the long run.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your all right,I won,t buy a cheap one. kubota,john deere we have a b 7800 sub compact now ,[she wants her own].

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,992 Posts
I always search the net FIRST,, just to see what's out there.

I don't know what kind of 'ground' your mowing?

My SIL was given a Simplicity Legacy XL, SUB-compact,,,,, I've pulled him out of the wet spots 3 or 4 times. Belly deck will not pick up high enough,,, ground clearance too low. Roll-over mower deck is very hard/ tricky for him to take on & off.
Positive thoughts,,,,,,, it's built like a tank & he really likes & uses the front end loader for landscaping & tree cutting.

Zero turns,,,, his neighbor has one. It gets stuck just as much, & it's very hard to steer & uncomfortable to use on the sides of slopes & hills,,,, BUT it is very fast,,,,, specially cutting after everything dries out.

I cut almost 2 acres,, 1 acre of wet bottom-land. Around dozens of trees, fences & a short 3 to 1 slope,,, & I do all of my own maintenance. So a garden size lawn mower is the only way for me to go.
My almost 20yo 19hp Craftsman was built back when they were somewhat built good. (+ 3 decks, 5 spindles & many idler pulleys, but it still runs like a champ,,,, FYI,,, it was $1800 year-end sale. lol,, top that. ;>)

Here's where I'm searching, for MY next upgrade, tractor mower,,, some NEW compact tractor/ mower lines;

2020 BOBCAT ZT2000 For Sale In Miles City, Montana | TractorHouse.com

Massey Ferguson | GC1700 Series Sub-Compact Tractor

1 - 20 of 42 Posts