close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Richmond 5-15-04

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by firecat, May 16, 2004.

1. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

Got to New Richmond about twenty till 7 last night. Launched the boat and headed toward zimmer to find some skips. There were only like 3 other boats out. Skipjacks were non existant. Tried Zimmer tried several creeks and the dam but no Skips. We started fishing at the dam on the Kentucky side and as soon as we got settled we started getting bites. All in all it wasn't a bad night Brian and I caught 8 fish the biggest was a 10# channel cat. Caught by myself. The fish bit real good till about an hour past dark. Then it was like somebody just turned the switch off. I don't know if the cold front really affected them or what. We were marking fish like crazy but couldn't buy a bite. Of the 8 fish Only 2 were not caught at the dam. But we had fun it was alot better than setting at home not doing anything.

Larry

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Slow night here too. Took a guy out on the river who'd never fished it for cats "our style" before. He enjoyed it.

3. Same thing happened to me last time out. A fish here and there. Then he bite picked up right before dark. 10 to 1130 zip. Next time I start earlier.

Sliprig

4. I hit the same kind of thing, looks like that was the Sat. night pattern for the Markland pool. Still it could have been worse. Last year at this time the river was flooded and we were all frustrated because we couldn't get out

5. Hey at least you caught some it is getting slower on the river for everybody.

6. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

Hey Truck I think we went by you guys right about 7pm we were heading for the dam in the green and beige smoker craft.

Larry

7. Fished with Josh Mullis out of New Richmond 5-15-04.

We hit the water @ 6:30 & Josh already had plenty of bait. Anchored down in the first spot and hit a 9.8 blue right off the bat on cut shad. Pulled in a couple drum 4-5 lbs, so we moved on. Caught a 10.5 channel on shad, and followed it up with a 7 lb channel and a baby 3 lb flathead. We'd catch 2-5 fish off each spot in the first 30 minutes, then the bite would die. In all we boated 18 fish, with the largest being a 17 lb drum :D Didn't have any flats over 10 lbs, but I did manage a new PB channel of 14.75 lbs and also had another channel @ 14. Both big channels took a live warmouth bluegill. It was a great night to be on the river - very peaceful. I'll have pictures in a couple days if I can figure out how to post them? :confused:

Just want to say thanks again to Josh for putting me on some fish. I had a great time and I look forward do doing it again sometime. :)

8. Hey Larry I think we saw you too,next time stop by & say Hi.Daryl