Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BigBadCatHunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum. I just moved to the area. Trying to find some reliable local spots for bass/cat fishing. I've tried Eastwood Park, Delco Park, Englewood Dam/Metroparks, Taylorsville Dam, Wegerzyn Gardens, parts of Stillwater River and Great Miami River downtown Dayton. Nothing. Any advice on where to go or how to rig up. (Bass I'm using 1 oz bullet on top of Texas rigged rubber worm mostly. For cats I'm using octopus or treble hook with 2 ounce sinker no bobber)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Your fishing some productive waters! For starters, it sounds like your chunking a little more lead than you need for the waters.....stop in at fisherman's quarters over on Keowee at 4th....also stay tuned to the posts on here for a lot of helpful info....welcome to the area.

Mike

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Terry, welcome aboard... I assume your shore fishing? and also all the places you mention are decent places and all hold some good fish, just have to find them. The cats you are fishing for in all those places would be mostly Channel cats so Id fish cut bait Bluegills, carp, shad whatever you can get and Id fish them on about a 3/0-5/0 hook, I prefer circle hooks but if your not used to that, Id use a quality J hook. Weights are just enough to hold baits on bottom or in current, when lake fishing I mostly use 1 oz but on the ohio River, we commonly use 8-10 or 12ozs.

When you say your getting nothing I find that hard to believe and have to guess your getting a few fish just nothing great. Can you elaborate on that? also where did you move from and what areas did you fish, folks around here would love to hear some stories of different species.

Salmonid ( also from Dayton)

·
Rippin' Lips!
137 Posts
I always use the Carolina/slip sinker rig for cats. For lakes and ponds go for a 3/4 oz egg weight with about 20 inches of leader and a #6 treble or whatever you prefer. Never fails.

·
Super Moderator
205 Posts
(For Bass)I have better luck with tubes vs worms. Bullet weight running free on the line. 3.5" tube. 2/0 hook buried. worked very slow along the bottom. worked for 20+ years in my stretch of the GMR.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,375 Posts
X2 on the Bass tubes, although I am new to Bass fishing after this past weekend on the Whitewater river I am sold on tubes, I also found a Tube hook at BPS that has a small weight attached, so I didnt have to Carolina rig it and it was plenty heavy for that river.

·
BigBadCatHunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I moved from Florida where I was freshwater pier fishing for jack crevalle, all kinds of cats, snapper etc. Just drop a J hook with about 1/2 in chunk of raw shrimp and bam! You were liable to carb anything including baby sharks. Since being here in Ohio, I have had no luck but I'm staying positive. I have fished all the spots I mentioned usin the rigs and lures I mentioned. Another problem is finding the portages or banks or places along the GMR and SWR to actually get to the fish. The maps I got from Fishermans Quarters are confusing and the guys down there at Fishermans quarters tell me so many different things that I'm overwhelmed. Bottom line for now just looking to catch some small bass or panfish with my daughter.

·
BigBadCatHunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, I forgot to mention that I served in the military for 20 years and my duty took me to all parts of the world. I caught salmon and halibut in Alaska. Trout and pike in Colorado. All kinds of fish in Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, etc.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Since being here in Ohio, I have had no luck but I'm staying positive.
Got the right attitude.. stay positive and keep at it!

For bass, I would agree that tubes are key! You can catch bass in Eastwood lake and I would assume there are places in the river at that same park where you'll find them on tubes. Green pumpkin is my favorite color, and definitely lighter weight when fishing tubes.

Welcome to Ohio, and thank you for serving in the military!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
I'm no pro but I'll try to help. These all are pretty productive for me at eastwood. If you want pannies for you and your daughter, I'd say your best bet would be wax worms on a slip bobber rig. Easy to adjust depth which helps find them along with moving around some. try around the weed beds most definitely.

For lmb I would stick to Texas riggin a darker colored senko or preferred worm and finnesse it along the bottom. Key again to move around to find em. Seems like all the fish at EW never stick to one hole.

If you want a bunch of tiny channels try chicken liver by the spill way. Just expect a crowd. lol I never go near there unless the water is opened up. Fish magnet when it is. Especially on really hot days when they're looking to cool down in the cool river water.
If you wanna big channel or flattie outta there I would keep up with the Carolina rig with either live or cut bait. Spawn is almost a thing of the past so bite should be pickin up. Just try to get your bait just past the weed beds that seem to surround the whole lake.

If you wanna target some smb and feel like getting your feet wet, try wading around the old bridge and through the pools and riffle and jig a white curly tail grub, you're bound to get something.

Like I said, I'm no pro. These techniques work for me most the time but I still get skunked. Good luck to ya. Keep us posted too!

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts