Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im struggling to determine what exactly the switch to by county zoning changed? My question is can you shoot say 3 deer in a 3 deer county and 3 more in another 3 deer county? The wording in the regs is at best vague and i talked to a wildlife officer around a month ago and he said he didnt get it either and was waiting on their rules interp meeting. Anybody who has a clarification that would be great and thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
As far as I understand it ( I am no expert and I am sure someone more knowledgable will jump in) you can shoot 3 in a county and 3 more in another county as long as both of those counties are 3 deer counties with a maximum of 9 deer for the entire year and only 1 of them can be a buck. I would also be interested in why others think.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Carp53.65
4,196 Posts
It goes by zone. There is zone A, B, and C. So every county in the zone would have a bag limit on that zone as a whole. Say you are allowed 3 deer in zone C once you have taken 3 deer in that zone you would have to hunt counties in zones A and B to kill additional deer.

·
Registered
887 Posts
As far as I understand it ( I am no expert and I am sure someone more knowledgable will jump in) you can shoot 3 in a county and 3 more in another county as long as both of those counties are 3 deer counties with a maximum of 9 deer for the entire year and only 1 of them can be a buck. I would also be interested in why others think.

This is the way I read it too.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts

·
Carp53.65
4,196 Posts
Guess I was incorrect on the zones. Obviously they have changed things. This will probably get more deer taken because you will no longer have to travel across the state to kill additional deer. Now you can just go over to the next county. Said that less then 1 percent take more than 4 deer. I would expect this number to rise.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Question- Am I allowed a 15.00 doe tag in each county or I am allowed 1-15.00 tag and all other tags are 24.00. I can go to counties all around me and use the cheaper tag 1 time per county. I have been meaning to call the DNR but you guys can clear this up, look in the book and consider your response.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Question- Am I allowed a 15.00 doe tag in each county or I am allowed 1-15.00 tag and all other tags are 24.00. I can go to counties all around me and use the cheaper tag 1 time per county. I have been meaning to call the DNR but you guys can clear this up, look in the book and consider your response.
The way I read it is you get three doe tags and 6 either sex tags but you have to go to different color ones. You can go to two reds or such, must go to each color to get the total of 9 deers and no matter what you can still only kill one buck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live in Lawrence County so I can get three deer in my county and 1 is the doe tag and the others would be the either sex tag. Now since I killed all three in my county now the only counties I can hunt would be a red or blue county, then I could buy another doe tag with the three either sex if I would go to Scioto county and if I killed a buck in Lawrence county then I could only shoot does’. Then if I killed my limit there I could only hunt in the blue counties, which then I would get a doe and either sex tag.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The way I read it, it's by counties so you do not have to go to another color zone. It just says you cannot exceed an individual county limit. So if you are in Clermont you can shoot one antler less before dec 1st and 3 either sex tags, to reach the county maximum of 4. Now you can go to any other county reguardless of color so for you say brown county and harvest 1 more doe tag and 3 more either sex tags. That's 8 total so you could go to any county other than Clermont and Brown and harvest you last legal deer. Only 1 of the 9 may be a buck.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The way I read it, it's by counties so you do not have to go to another color zone. It just says you cannot exceed an individual county limit. So if you are in Clermont you can shoot one antler less before dec 1st and 3 either sex tags, to reach the county maximum of 4. Now you can go to any other county reguardless of color so for you say brown county and harvest 1 more doe tag and 3 more either sex tags. That's 8 total so you could go to any county other than Clermont and Brown and harvest you last legal deer. Only 1 of the 9 may be a buck.
thats what i thought. So from the wording i could take 3 deer in 3 different red counties? that seems odd

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was incorrect and you can mix and match to get your total deer. So you can hunt in 3 of the 3 deer counties to get your total of 9.
Per Wildlife of Ohio.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Still only one buck out of the nine.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
So can I purchase 15.00 tag for each county or am I only allowed 1-15.00 tag in Ohio and all others are 24.00
Yes you may purchase one (15.00) antlerless tag for each county. All other tags for that same county must be the (24.00) either sex tag

No more than one deer in each county can be tagged with an antlerless permit.

Antlerless tags for all counties expire Dec 1st

You can not harvest more than the county bag limit in any one county

Statewide bag limit is 9 deer, 8 antlerless and one antlered

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
So since I hunt in tusc. County I can kill four deer in that county, one on a antler less tag and three on either sex tags?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in hancock county and from the way I'm reading the rules I can get one any sex permit and one non antler permit..... so that means if i shoot a doe with my either sex permit I would not be able to shoot a buck the rest of the year...or if I shoot a buck with my either sex permit during bow I would not be able to hunt during gun season because the non antler tags expire the first day of gun season...does that sound right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts