Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a new stainless steel prop i am running a 2005 hydra sport 24 foot walk around with a yahama 225 four stroke. i am now running a 17 pitch alum three blade and the rpm s are at about 5900. i am looking to get a better hole shot and more top speed is this possible ???what pitch does every one think i should run??? if i can get better hook up in choppy water that would be good i only run boat on erie mostly western basin a little more speed would be good thanks in advance KPI

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
What is your redline for that engine?..

usually better hole shot (quicker planing speed) means you're dropping down in pitch...this usually means your losing top end speed and probably increasing your rpms on the top end...

What kind of top end are you getting now?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
looking to buy a new stainless steel prop i am running a 2005 hydra sport 24 foot walk around with a yahama 225 four stroke. i am now running a 17 pitch alum three blade and the rpm s are at about 5900. i am looking to get a better hole shot and more top speed is this possible ???what pitch does every one think i should run??? if i can get better hook up in choppy water that would be good i only run boat on erie mostly western basin a little more speed would be good thanks in advance KPI
I had the same problem with my PennYan and after talking to the PropGods, they suggested I drop to a SS 15 pitch prop.
I was literally amazed at the hole shot improvement and lower planing speed.

I did not sell the prop with the boat. Give me a call and you can give it a try to see if you like it. You will just need to buy a hub kit to fit your Yammy. Flo Torq II hub

Quicksilver Thunderbolt 15.75" diameter/ 15 pitch # QS5002X

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/site...v6_bss_grw_seafarer228_f225xca_2-9-10_owa.pdf

This was the closest comparison I seen to what you have. Maybe it will help.
Jason,

Here is the sheet on that boat. What do you guys think on this sheet??

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/site...ulletin_4stroke_hpv6_al_hyd-230wa-f225txr.pdf

Not sure if it is the same motor. Thought it was a F225 on the boat, so not sure if it is the same or if a F225TXR. The prop looks different from what Ken says is on the boat now so maybe it was changed and needs to be looked at again???? I don't know??

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had the same problem with my PennYan and after talking to the PropGods, they suggested I drop to a SS 15 pitch prop.
I was literally amazed at the hole shot improvement and lower planing speed.

I did not sell the prop with the boat. Give me a call and you can give it a try to see if you like it. You will just need to buy a hub kit to fit your Yammy. Flo Torq II hub

Quicksilver Thunderbolt 15.75" diameter/ 15 pitch # QS5002X
I did the exact same thing, with the same prop, and actually gained a better hole shot, quicker to plane and higher top speed. My only complaint with the new ss prop is a much higher idle speed vs. the aluminum, but Im happy with the overall gains. This is on a 23.5' walk around.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bought a power tech prop 15 pitch this should help from what i have researched i will post results whern i get the boat and motor on the water cant wait to see how it handles the chop and rough water thanks gary for the offer to sell your thanks for the input guys!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts