close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Microsoft Spyware scanner - FREE (beta)

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by ShakeDown, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Microshaft just released a beta of their new spyware app...anyone try it yet?

You can grab it off www.microsoft.com. Might be the package they bought off Giant a few months ago.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

3. I am not sure but I think I heard that once this is no longer beta they will charge for it....
    Anyone else heard this too??

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I installed it today Shake. Seemed to clean a lot of crap off my computer. I'd say anyone that has a chance should give it a shot.

5. Yeah I instaled it on Thursday when they released it. So far it seems okay. A couple things I do like is the auto-update, auto-protect mode like an anti virus program, the ability to undo browser changes made by web objects and the real time notification whenever a website attempts to do anything potentially unsafe. I unloaded adaware and pest patrol to give it a fair tryout. It would be unfair to say more than that without giving it some time to work (especially with it being a beta release). Yes this is the software they aquired from Giant. The doc states the Giant software must be uninstalled prior to installing this package.

Barry

6. hahahaa Ok I admit I'm slow ...

I've downloaded the beta and now running it for the 1st time... I hope it still works for us "beta testers" when they charge for it in the future :rolleyes:

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

From what I understand......Microsoft will be offering anti-virus, and anti-spam programs FREE of charge in the near future. The beta programs are just for testing purposes, and the final release versions will be free as well.

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

By the way Shake......it is Giant software. My Norton Internet Securities box popped up when it tried to connect to the internet, asking if I wanted to allow permission to Giant Anti-Spam Software to connect to the internet.

9. I just installed and ran a scan with it and low and behold it found even more spyware! 20+ instances as a matter of fact. Funny, even after running spy-bot & Spyware blaster, this app found even more instances of this stuff on my PC. I hope your right about it being free in the future, I really like this software. Its easy to use and it tells you EXACTLY what its doing. Very nice.

10. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I read somewhere that the spyware software (the stuff we're discussing) will remain free, but they WILL charge for their anti-virus software. They're going to try and dethrone Norton I guess.

11. That must be what I read too... It was in the Plain Dealer puter section... Mondays I think...

12. Downloaded this program on my computer and my wifes last night. Worked well on her computer except for changing her home page. On my computer it was a total disaster. After scanning and removing spyware it found the pc took forever to reboot. When it finally did I could not get on the net. Messed with it over an hour gave up and did a system restore. Thank god system restore worked. Use this program with caution , espescially if you are networked.

13. I experienced pretty much the same as papaperch. It loaded ok and all but after removing the spyware the security center warned that my firewall was disabled. Tried to turn on the firewall manually but it wouldn't give me access to the control. I'm no whiz at this computer stuff so I'm sure glad I have system restore and it worked ok.

14. "J"

"J"

Won't download if you still run Windows 98 or lower, B*st*rds still trying to get me to upgrade, but I'll show them!!!!!!!! :D

15. I've had zero probs so I am lucky... I've been there on other software though...

16. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

yep....... +1 here

17. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

IMO....98 for "hands on control" is FAR better than XP. Only going to get worse. From everything I've been reading, Microsoft's next "windows" will charge a monthly fee to use....and must update to the internet monthly to properly operate.

18. I guess I have not heard any rumblings of that one. But I can tell you if they go that route, then there will be a LOT more people interested in Linux.;) I can not imagine this sort of thing happening personally bacause with the presence of Linux, they have a more prevalent competitor than they have had in MANY years, probably since Macintosh destroyed its image back in the early 90's with poor marketing.

19. Message from Bill Gates " Resistance is futile you will be assimilated ". While there are alternatives to the Windows operating system the software choice for productivity or amusement to run with it are limited. Simply put the software programmers write their code for the OS that well over 90 % of us use on our machines. Hardware and its drivers are designed to work with Windows. For the very same reason. Usually absolute greed does destroy any monopoly. It appears that Microsoft chooses to ignore history and go bopping down the path other monopolies pursued to their eventual demise. I actually like Windows XP as a operating system. It is vastly superior to 98, ME and all the others. What I do not like is the assumption that all of Microsoft's customers are software pirates.

20. I agree 110%