Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New member - EF tailwater report 7/15

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by On_The_Fly, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Good Morning,

I'm a new member to OGF. I've been watching the posts for a while now and thought I should finally contribute.

Fished East Fork tailwater last night from 6:30 to 9:00. Very slow for the first 1.5 hours, but picked up very nicely. Ended the day with 3 nice bluegills, 4 rock bass with one about 15", and 1 really nice smallmouth. I caught most of on a top water popper and 1 on a woolly bugger. I mostly fish with fly rod as I was last night.
  2. Welcome to the party, OTF. :) Thanks for the TR. I hit the GM myself last night with the long rod in the area of the Dayton Art Institute. Pitiful performance on my part, spooking three nice carp before I could show them the fly. One smallie fell for my crayfish imitation. Haven't fished EF in a few months. I'll have to get over there again. See you on the water.

Joe C.

3. catking

catking Banned

Welcome to the OGF site !!! I'm really glad you joined and you fish some of my stomping grounds. Hey, ever fish Todds Fork with the fly rod??? I've seen a guy quite a few times down there. Great to have you on the site ;) THE CATKING !!!
  4. Welcome!

I have fished the spillway a few times, and there are some nice rockies down there. You should have weighed the big one......the State record is 1.97LBs and 14.75". This has been the record since 1932 (Ohio's oldest record). I bet that it has been broken a few times, but no one ever thinks to check the record for a rockie.
  5. Rooster beat me to it - that was potentially a state record rock bass. Nonetheless it was a trophy fish and you are to be commended for releasing it.

Cornmuse - have you seen any grass carp in the Great Miami River in the Dayton area?
  6. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I would've never thought that rockie might've even been close to a record. That's OK, I know where he lives.

KATKING- No never been there, where is it??
  7. catking

catking Banned

Hey On_the_fly- It's down in Morrow. Nice access and good fishin ;) CATKING
  8. The only water I know for sure has amur stocked is Rush Run. I am sure there are quite a few farm ponds, but RR is the only state stocked grass carp fishery I am aware of.

Great fish, that. Fast animal. I have to send my Battenkill back to Orvis, it warped from the ones I was playing with during the cicada emergence!

9. Lewis

Welcome to OGF!
  10. The upper Great Miami does contain grass carp/white amur. Here's a map showing that several have been collected in the Dayton area:

I've also talked to a bowfisherman who has got several grassies in the Great Miami River Dayton area with the smallest being 27 lbs and the largest approaching 50 lbs. There was also an article about the grass carp in one of the Dayton papers - so they do exist.

So if you see a 4ft long grey shadow raise from the depths and take your fly, don't be surprised.